What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need to reinstall WMP 11

biff

I need to reinstall WMP 11. I've read up on how to do this but unfortunately the hidden directory is missing, that being "C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallwmp11$\spuninst\spuninst.exe". Apparently some driver cleaners will wipe out this directory which seems to be what happened to me.

So where do I do now?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I didn't know you could remove WMP11... how did you do this?

I'd suggest you d/l from Microsoft and re-install?

biff

I didn't know you could remove WMP11... how did you do this?

I'd suggest you d/l from Microsoft and re-install?

Well I haven't removed it yet but apparently the file I quoted above is the way to do it. BUT a driver cleaner I have used along the way has wiped out that uninstall info (apparently not so uncommon of a problem). I tried DL'ing it from MS but it wont let me install... but the only version of WMP11 I could find at MS was for XP and I'm using Vista.

I'm almost to the point of formatting the drive and doing a fresh install.... for all the time I've wasted looking for a fix I probably could have already had the fresh install done and setup.

biff

Yeah that's the same download I tried to use... if you notice on the download button it says "...for Windows XP". I guess they use the same version.

I think I'll just do the OS reinstall. It's only for my HTPC so I have next to no setup to do after anyway, just iMON and TMT I think. Thanks.

biff

Never heard of VLC, but I've already bought TMT anyway. Besides I see no mention that it can play bluerays. I also can't find anything that says that winamp will integrate into VMC. I'm not a big proponent of either but WMP11 works perfectly (when you don't bugger it up with other 3rd party software) and it's setup and ready to go out of the box. I wouldn't mind using third party software to handle music so if it ever craps out I can easily do a re'n're... as long as it's as seamless as WMP11 is in VMC.

Last edited:

enaberif

Never heard of VLC, but I've already bought TMT anyway. Besides I see no mention that it can play bluerays. I also can't find anything that says that winamp will integrate into VMC. I'm not a big proponent of either but WMP11 works perfectly (when you don't bugger it up with other 3rd party software) and it's setup and ready to go out of the box. I wouldn't mind using third party software to handle music so if it ever craps out I can easily do a re'n're... as long as it's as seamless as WMP11 is in VMC.

Your using acronyms I have no clue about.

TMT? VMC?

Latest posts