What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Noob Overclock Question

Phaddie

Hey Guys,
Relatively new to OverClocking and have a quick question.

I recently (today) got an ASUS p5q-e, Intel e8600, and a Mushkin ddr2 kit(xp2-8500 I think)

So I went into the bios and made the FSB 400 and the multiplier 10. When I use cpu-z it only shows a multipier of 6, it switches everyone once in a while up to 10 for about 4 seconds then goes back down. Is there something I am missing?

Phad

tzetsin

This is a function in your bios for power saving, its in your bios under cpu configuration, and its called intel speedstep, it dynamically adjusts your multiplier based on cpu load, so if your doing nothing, it drops the multiplier to slow the cpu saving you power, then when you push the computer it brings it back to max for best performance. you should turn this off while overclocking, as in some cases this can cause a slightly less than stable overclock to fail more often, while it ramps up an down.

tzetsin

Please please search.

Yes I am going to be grumpy about this because it gets asked so MUCH.

Yes, i think i've seen you answer this a few times already, figured i'd get to it before you this time ;D

misterlarry

I agree with enaberif wholeheartedly. Please...please... please... use the search feature that we have here on the forum.

I also want to thank tzetsin for not being too grumpy to answer this question...again.

Welcome to HWC Phaddie! Have fun here.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts