What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NVIDIA GTX 960 Review Comment Thread

maverick_brent

I've never heard of a 960Ti.*

However, it would make sense that NVIDIA would have something to bridge the gap between the GTX 960 and GTX 970. Heck the $250 to $275 price point is wide open!

*The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club
bahahaha:rofl:

Dzzope

I was waiting on Sky's review (per usual) as I hoped it would include some info on the 960ti versions. I eventually want to get into higher than 1080p gaming and this card clearly falls short of it given Sky's review.

Ah well, start putting more $$$ aside as I wait for Sky to review the 960ti and then the R300 (rumored to be march/april lifting of NDA).
IMO, wait till you are deff getting the bigger res screen before investing into the beefier GPU.

Bond007

Great review of an interesting card. I think its great that they were able to squeeze that much performance from a 128bit bus. It means that the cost to produce should be quite low, so there is definitely room for a price drop on it. It is also relatively efficient, but it doesn't seem to be quite as efficient as its bigger brothers. My biggest complaint on it (which may settle over time) is pricing. The sticker price is technically competetive and fine, but a quick look around shows the cheapest 960 around $245 in Canada. At that price its a no brainer to shop AMD in my mind. A quick look around and I found r9 280 for $195, r9 285 for $200, and r9 280x for $240 (the first two are after MIR, but the 280x doesn't even have a MIR). You can even get a r9 290 for $280 (a price that some of the gtx 960 are higher than).

That all said I know its launch day, so prices will eventually normallize, but for now I am not really impressed....other than the performance they were able to get from a 128bit bus.

upcoast604

With only 36w difference between the 960 and 280x I'm thinking there goes the rest of the 280x/280 3GB card stock in the $180-$250 range.

NVidia does a great job on the high end cards but these lower end cards get too hacked up to make them appealing.

bradleyg5

I've run numerous games that use over 3GB of video memory, seems to be the norm for these current gen console ports.

Replaced my SLI GTX 460s with one GTX 970, am definitely glad I didn't go the SLI route again. I bet two GTX 960s outpaces one GTX 970, but your not gonna be running the highest texture settings.

I wonder how popular these will be in SLI, 2 gives you the same cuda cores as 1 GTX 980 for 100ish less. Memory doesn't stack though...

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I know, why are these reviews always quoting usd prices anyway?
Because everyone gives us their prices in USD before launch. Canadian pricing isn't available until retailers put up their listings.

sswilson

Staff member
Because everyone gives us their prices in USD before launch. Canadian pricing isn't available until retailers put up their listings.
Do the manufacturers even bother publishing MSRPs in any currency other than USD?

I understand the confusion, but honestly prefer to see the USD MSRP used as that allows me to see how much we're being gouged with "country pricing". ;)

Varroa

Do the manufacturers even bother publishing MSRPs in any currency other than USD?

I understand the confusion, but honestly prefer to see the USD MSRP used as that allows me to see how much we're being gouged with "country pricing". ;)
I think the days of cheap/decent video cards in Canada are gone until we get our dollar back up. An almost 20% difference in the dollar is going to make everything much more expensive.

Latest posts

Twitter