What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

p5k motherboard, no display on boot

synapse08

hey,

I just decided to get a intel core2 duo Q6600 cpu and an asus p5k motherboard. After putting it all together and turning the pc on i got no display, the monitor was not receiving signals. Went back to the shop and the motherboard was tested defect. I got a new one, but same thing happens. I tested my graphics card and memory on my older msi motherboard and they were still working there. So i did not ruin any of that when i put this all together.
I'm using twinmos ddr2 pc5300 memory sticks (2 gig total)
point of view geforce 7900gs 256mb mem

any reason that these components should not be compatible with a p5k motherboard causing such problems? i am using a 460W power unit, might that one be the problem?

I get no beeps on starting up, checked that memory and graphic card is properly installed 5 times over, as well as all cabling etc. checked for metal touching the motherboard possibly creating a shortcut, but couldnt find any.

trïed resetting the bios by following user manual step by step.

Also tried an intel core2 duo 6300 on the p5k motherboard with same result. no signals to monitor. the monitor is working on another computer as well. no issues with that one.

could it be that the new motherboard i got is also defect? sounds unlikely that i get two defect mb's in a row

hope someone can give me some good advice :) many thanks in advance

sswilson

Staff member

synapse08

hello to both of you,

thanks for your replies :)
I followed the 10 step guide (except for leaving the reset jumper in for 24 hrs) and doing one mem module at a time trying different slots, but i still get no signal to my monitor.
I dont have other memory modules to try than the twinmos ones, but i wouldnt say twinmos pc5300 are very high end or anything which would require more voltage than motherboard is outputing by default (i could be wrong here). So unless this voltage thing really could be an issue, then I guess i'm on a lucky strike and got two defect motherboards in a row?

sswilson

Staff member
Unfortunately it could be an issue with the compatability of the motherboard & that particular memory.....

There's really no way to tell if it's just a mem/motherboard issue unless you've got another set of ram to throw onto it.

You could keep RMAing for the same motherboard forever if it's a compatability issue.

synapse08

sswilson,

thanks alot for your fast and informative replies :) I guess i'll go and pick up another set of ram and see if that works. I'll come back to this thread and report if that helped so that other users can be informed of compatibility issues regarding this motherboard and mem.

Eldonko

The board is supposed to be compatible with 1066 / 800 / 667 mem but Im still thinking its mem issue..

synapse08

yeah thats the thing, technically speaking it should support the mem i have, but then again, in the asus manual, they list a bunch of qualified memory vendors and Twinmos is not on that list so i suspect as well after the feedback i'm getting here that it could in fact be an incomatibility issue. Going back to the shop tomorrow were i got the motherboard to speak with them and possibly have them check it with some other mem modules.

thanks alot for your feedback :)

synapse08

hmm i just have an additional question though. Lets say the mem is imcompatible with the motherboard, would or could that cause my problem where my monitor does not receive signals? my bios does not show up at all. if i remove the memory completely, i do get the beep error code for memory not installed. but still no signals going to my monitor. just some questions i was wondering about just now :)

Latest posts