What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Power up for a second, shuts down, wait 3 seconds to power up again

gingerbee

with only a mb and psu nothing will happen there's no cpu to calculate anything even bios data so, no on post or anything hell the on button does not even work. but this is weird.
could this be a corrupted bios stuck in a loop? have you broken it down to just the bare minimum 1 stick of ram,1 gpu,stock cooler/or no fan plugged in?. edit leaning toward borked board. but may just be a trick bugger :thumb:

rjbarker

^^^ Agreed....here is what I'd try, taking into consideration his PSU is fine:
1. Set-up on a bench
2. CPU / Stock Fan, one stick of RAM, one Boot HD, 1 GPU...if it don't boot...
3. Reset CMOS....if it don't boot....
4. Pull Battery from Mobo for an hour so....if it don't boot....
5. Try RAM stick in other slots......if it don't boot...
6. Pull CPU and check carefully for bent Socket pins.....

7. Try a new Mobo.

0o0

Banned
^^^ Agreed....here is what I'd try, taking into consideration his PSU is fine:
1. Set-up on a bench
2. CPU / Stock Fan, one stick of RAM, one Boot HD, 1 GPU...if it don't boot...
3. Reset CMOS....if it don't boot....
4. Pull Battery from Mobo for an hour so....if it don't boot....
5. Try RAM stick in other slots......if it don't boot...
6. Pull CPU and check carefully for bent Socket pins.....

7. Try a new Mobo.
Tried all that, except for a new mobo. This is the only 1366 cpu in the house. It's also the only x58 mobo in the house.

with only a mb and psu nothing will happen there's no cpu to calculate anything even bios data so, no on post or anything hell the on button does not even work. but this is weird.
could this be a corrupted bios stuck in a loop? have you broken it down to just the bare minimum 1 stick of ram,1 gpu,stock cooler/or no fan plugged in?. edit leaning toward borked board. but may just be a trick bugger :thumb:
That's what I was thinking. I have no idea how to get it out of such a loop. I've tried the hard cmos reset you suggested, but haven't tried the 24 hour power button thing.. would it be worth at shot?

sswilson

Staff member
From the sounds of it, a 24 hr cmos reset attempt would be the only option from this point on. If that doesn't resolve the issue it's either the motherboard or the CPU and unfortunately without another board to try the cpu in, there isn't much that can be done to determine which it is.

0o0

Banned
a jumper on power, a jumper on cmos reset and battery out.. my 5870 and i7 are gonna have to idle for a day:sad: can't wait to get back into folding with bigadvs

KaptCrunch

if all fails from above suggestions try another keyboard, what version are you at on bios F?

0o0

Banned
Kapt that won't work

does it have to be precisely 24 hours? can I just give it a shot right now? the wait is killing me..... the forum member who sold me this mobo still hasn't responded and hasn't appeared to be online at hwc since the 9th :(

Arinoth

Staff member
I remember this board having issues with certain kinds of RAM and that only certain models and brands work but for the life of me i can't remember if people had or didn't have problems with your ram with these boards

Latest posts

Twitter