What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung Odyssey G8, Alienware AW3423DW, other monitor suggestions

FreeKnight

Considering upgrading my non-HDR alienware 34" 21:9 for another monitor, either 3440 or 4K with HDR and ideally G-sync.

Anyone have any experience with the premium Samsung monitors? Something else I should be considering?

Rtings gives pretty high-praise to the G8; https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-neo-g8-s32bg85
Although it has Freesync instead of G-sync. I think Nvidia cards can use Freesync now, although it doesn't perform quite as good as Gsync IIRC.

Alternatively Samsung has a new 'Odyssey Ark', but it's well over what I'd like to spend.

Alternatively, I could just get the newer Alienware AW3423DW, but thought I'd see if anyone's peeked into the Samsung units.

JD

Staff member
I don't think I'd replace a AW3418DW (assuming that's what you have, as I do too) with anything but OLED. And there's a bunch of OLEDs coming out :)

FreeKnight

I don't think I'd replace a AW3418DW (assuming that's what you have, as I do too) with anything but OLED. And there's a bunch of OLEDs coming out :)
I didn't know there was a bunch of OLED monitors due soon, good to know. I love my OLED tvs

LaughingCrow

I've had the smaller SAMSUNG 27-inch Odyssey G7 for about 3 weeks now. No complaints other than the stand takes a lot more desk surface than my older Dell. My first curved monitor. Think I might have preferred a flat monitor of the same size and quality but it didn't take very long to adapt to the curve. Great for games; barely notice it with image editing or surfing. My eyes appreciate how it handles text much better than my old Dell.

Cypher^64

I've had the G9 Neo now for a couple months and with the latest firmware it's been great. I had the Samsung 49" CRG before it, I think it'd be hard to go to something smaller now. I love the aspect ratio

Lysrin

I don't have an OLED or Samsung, so I can't comment on those but I do have the monitor in my signature and thought I would chime in on form factor and resolution.

Having had a 34" 3440x1440, I've found I much prefer the larger 43" 4K for pretty much everything I do; work and play. Although it seemed crazy to admit after thinking I would never be dissatisfied with that monitor when I bought it, I ended up finding the ultrawide 1440 vertically limited feeling. Especially for games. I thought I would love it for sims especially, but the 43" 4K feels way more immersive to me. A higher res ultrawide would be nice I expect, but my 43" ends up be horizontally a little wider than my 34" was, and the tonnes of extra vertical pixels is great.

Just something to consider unless you really want to stick with ultrawide form factor.

Vittra

LG C2 42"

If you are really interested in G8, get the G7 variant instead. G8 has scanline issues above 200hz/200fps, defeating the point of the supposed 240hz refresh rate over the G7. Be aware though that if you are looking for the best HDR experience, these monitors can have blooming / cursor trailing issues as they are still fairly low zones for desktop monitor style use. Only you know your tolerance level for that sort of thing.

Can watch Hardware Unboxed/Monitor unboxed vids on most of the options at this point to compare/contrast what you think is the best for what you are looking for.

Lysrin

Just a note too, I've had no issue with the "G-Sync Compatible" support on my 43" using my 1080Ti. Monitor gets detected correctly, gives the correct options to set in the NVIDIA Control Panel, etc.

So you don't have to get a true G-Sync monitor, unless there are special features in newer versions of G-Sync that are only available on true G-Sync? I haven't researched that as what I have is working perfect for me.

Also my monitor is HDR1000, which I think is recommended as a minimum if you want true HDR.

JD

Staff member
I didn't know there was a bunch of OLED monitors due soon, good to know. I love my OLED tvs
I'm assuming its the same panel in these, just one is fixed curve and the other bendable:

If looking for 16:9 4K format, again assuming same panel that's fixed and bendable:

I'm hoping they've improved how text is displayed on OLED with these as I think that was the main concern people have with the AW3423DW today.