What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Sennheiser HD 599 - DAC / AMP needed?

Alex2602

Sup guys,

I just bought me the Sennheiser HD 599 for gaming. As mic I use a Blue Yeti X USB Microphone.

My question is, do I need a DAC / AMP for these headphone? I currently use my on board sound from my ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING.

I watched HC last YT video, but the Schiit Fulla / Hel is not availiable in Germany. Is a Soundblaster G6 or X3 an option or does my mainboard got enough power for the headphones (50 Ohm)?

Regards,
Alex

Bond007

I would agree. There would be some gains if you are very picky by going dedicated, but on a headset like the 599, it likely wouldn’t be worth the cost unless you a) plan to push higher, b) plan to go to harder to drive headsets, or c) have issues with the sound quality from the built in.

Entz

What is the output impedance of the Z390-E ? That is the only thing that may affect it since they are not planar in both loudness and frequency response. Your going to want <= 6 to be "perfect" (1/8 of your 50)

That being said, would even 1 in 10 people in a blind test even notice, no lol.

Last edited:

supaflyx3

An amp will not help, your motherboard will drive them NP. However a DAC might be nice, I definitely notice a difference with an external dac vs onboard, also less chance of interference

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
the answer is a bit convoluted. do you need? no...not to start. will you benefit? absolutely.

supa..how can you say an amp is not needed but a DAC would help? you can't use a DAC without an amp for it to go into, unless you have a combo unit.

Alex, go check out the gaming forum on hifiguides.com. lots of good info there for competitive and casual gaming audio.

edit - Have the HD599se (Amazon version that's exactly the same as non-se) and it definitely benefited from having an amp added. so I would definitely get an amp...however there are fewer optoins that support a mic, but you'll read about something called a Scarlette thta's popular.

Latest posts