What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

So Windows 8 has been out for a while now..

Daedalus2002

I use win 8 on my laptop which is my main workstation. NO issues with it whatsoever. I usually skip straight to the desktop and work directly from there. I will not upgrade my game system to W8 because there are some compatibility issues with some of the software I use. (It needs IE 9 or below; recompile needed for IE 10).

I dont see the point in whining about Metro, i simply dont use it that much. Lack of a start menu? hmmm, Metro's start screen seems to emulate exactly how I was using the start menu before - start typing the program name and it filters the results. Only gripe is it has a separate area for programs and settings. So no major complaints with Win 8.

sswilson

Staff member
I use win 8 on my laptop which is my main workstation. NO issues with it whatsoever. I usually skip straight to the desktop and work directly from there. I will not upgrade my game system to W8 because there are some compatibility issues with some of the software I use. (It needs IE 9 or below; recompile needed for IE 10).

I dont see the point in whining about Metro, i simply dont use it that much. Lack of a start menu? hmmm, Metro's start screen seems to emulate exactly how I was using the start menu before - start typing the program name and it filters the results. Only gripe is it has a separate area for programs and settings. So no major complaints with Win 8.
\

Exactly... those of us who don't like the metro interface are the folks who have never used the search function in that manner (except maybe to bring up cmd quickly) and have no intention to start. (pun intended.... ;) ).

Folks like yourself who were using the search function prior to win8 are the target market for the new interface.

enaberif

You are probably also what 25 years old? And only started using Windows when XP was around?

Us older generation are used to mouse and clicking..

fortkentdad

You are probably also what 25 years old? And only started using Windows when XP was around?

Us older generation are used to mouse and clicking..

And some of us remember when they introduced this mouse thing and a graphical interface. I amaze myself when I get to the command prompt and remember what it was like and even some of the command.

ipaine

I have tried to use windows 8 on multiple occasions and I just can't like it. While it does boot fast and has a great task manager, the lack of start menu and metro as a whole just kills it for me. Now if they can fix those issues then I could see myself changing, maybe.

YoungMan

Regarding the start menu and metro, there is Classic Shell. Pretty much turns it into windows 7. It boots straight to desktop instead of the start screen, for the people who don't like change.

Of course I hear a lot of reasons NOT to switch. But what are some good reasons to go to Windows 8?

grinder

Win8 is now my primary desktop OS. Metro sucks ass but can be avoided, after a while the crappy Seattle lock screen is only thing that bugs me. Despite what some people might say.. IT'S NOT THE GARBAGE THEY ONCE CALLED "VISTA". :)

AlienIsGOD

cant be bothered to change to 8 all 3 of my PC's run 7 and its working just fine. Thats not to say i havent tried 8, i used it throughout the beta period and was impressed with memory usage over 7 and the enhanced Task Manager was also a welcomed addition.

Latest posts