What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

SSD "Bait and Switch"

AkG

Its Silly Power....what did peeps expect?

Honestly if you see a review on a drive and the internal pictures show anything but a full-sized PCB....run. 9 times out of 10 its considered a 'value' model by its mfg'er - and not value in a good way. They will use whatever NAND is cheapest, they will cut corners on the power circuitry, they will cut corners on the controller.

YMMV

edgxunil

People will buy them since the "value" brands are cheaper. The retailers are going to sell them anyway and they are not going to educate customers about it. It is really a sad affair that terrible products with low cost get sold first. It's what's people see these days, dollar before true value (quality).

b1lk1

Samsung in Canada = no RMA. Are you people nuts? We can thank lovely companies like NCIX who happily stock and sell whatever garbage comes their way with no warnings or care from them, Has NCIX once come out to state that Samsung does not honor RMA for SSDs in Canada? I think not.

Worst thing is you usually get what you pay for, but with SSD's it is a total crapshoot. I'll stick to my slow magnetic drives, at least they have an honorable warranty and you get what you pay for.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Can you explain that? I was under the impression Samsung's Canadian RMA procedure was fixed....according to their reps.

FreeKnight

Samsung in Canada = no RMA. Are you people nuts? We can thank lovely companies like NCIX who happily stock and sell whatever garbage comes their way with no warnings or care from them, Has NCIX once come out to state that Samsung does not honor RMA for SSDs in Canada? I think not.

Worst thing is you usually get what you pay for, but with SSD's it is a total crapshoot. I'll stick to my slow magnetic drives, at least they have an honorable warranty and you get what you pay for.

Like Sky I've heard that Samsung's RMA system has gotten a lot better. And aren't Intel and Crucial supposed to be pretty good on their RMA process. Last SSD I had to RMA was an OCZ (pre-toshiba buyout) and it was absolutely painless.

And in fairness to NCIX, they're hardly the only ones stocking Samsung drives, they've long been available at MemEx and I think CC has had them for a while. Can't speak for Tiger direct since I only hit their site once every couple of years.

b1lk1

OK, I have to admit I didn't fully research before that comment, but you still gotta send them to the US which is utter BS.

Any way you look at it, I'll never be sold that SSD technology is safer than magnetic.

AkG

SSD mfg'ers are starting to take RMA seriously. Take OCZ for instance their new line will come with a no-BS warranty. No receipt needed - if the s/n shows it in warranty...its in warranty. They will do advanced replacement. AND they will send you a prepaid return label - ie they pay BOTH WAYS. Expect the rest to follow suit in the coming month/years (some are slower to learn than others).