What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Star Citizen

Lysrin

Saw that yesterday and almost posted it myself, but thought I'd get grief for laughing at it haha.
It's okay to post, and it okay to laugh at it! :D

But people will spend big money it seems on anything. I guess if they have it, and want to spend it there, none of my business... even if I do think people could point that much funds at a lot "better" things.

FreeKnight

I thought everyone was baiting the Ultra-Rich folks these days..trying to claw back some of that 0.999%..😀

It's okay to post, and it okay to laugh at it! :D

But people will spend big money it seems on anything. I guess if they have it, and want to spend it there, none of my business... even if I do think people could point that much funds at a lot "better" things.

Whales are definitely the norm targets for most PTW and mobile games apparently. From what I know of SC it isn't really PTW, but they're likely the anomaly and not the norm.

Yeah, there's definitely a 'if that's what you want to spend your money on it's no one's business but your own', even if I think that kind of money on a game is bonkers. There are people that spend thousands or tens of thousands on basketball sneakers to put on display though so a game makes more sense than that to me I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Lysrin

Whales are definitely the norm targets for most PTW and mobile games apparently. From what I know of SC it isn't really PTW, but they're likely the anomaly and not the norm.

Yeah, there's definitely a 'if that's what you want to spend your money on it's no one's business but your own', even if I think that kind of money on a game is bonkers. There are people that spend thousands or tens of thousands on basketball sneakers to put on display though so a game makes more sense than that to me I suppose 🤷‍♂️
That PTW thing for SC is a bit of a puzzle for them to solve I think, not unique to them for sure, and I'm not sure how that will get balanced out once the game is released.

I think the saving grace is there isn't an overall "win" or endgame proposed for SC. So, if I spent real money on a ship, cargo ship for example that is bigger than a starter ship, then even though I don't start the game after the final development wipe with much more money than a basic starting player, I don't have the hurtle of earning the in-game money to buy the bigger cargo ship. I jumpstart the early game process. That absolutely gives me an advantage, but I still have to earn the money to buy the cargo to put in the larger ship. However I'm likely to be a cargo mogul faster than a player with just a starter ship, assuming we play the same amount of time, and that latter point is key. Even though anyone can earn the ships in game with in-game money I wouldn't have a good argument to convince anyone there isn't a type of PTW happening there, even if it isn't actually an in-game benefit only attainable by paying real world money.

For me, purchasing some ships that I wanted, aside from being fun ;) , is more about forecasting playtime. I don't have the hours of gaming time that other players will be able to put in. I will jumpstart the beginning in some ways for several game loops, but players who play a lot will most certainly surpass me. But having a good ship for the gameplay I want to access, when I only have a few hours here and there to play at a time, makes sense to me for this type of game.

ZZLEE

I seem to remember back 10 years ago they had an every ship package fore 3000 or 5000. Just a little inflation.

Lysrin

I seem to remember back 10 years ago they had an every ship package fore 3000 or 5000. Just a little inflation.
And a whole lot more ships now mind you over 10 years ago! Yes... they're a virtual product but there's more of them! :)

Latest posts