What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Take away the Metro UI, Win 8 is a winner.

enaberif

LMAO! Start button = Win8 SP1 :rofl:

Adding a .1 to the 8 is FAR more than a service pack.

A service is generally a mass conglomeration of fixes, updates and such with perhaps some GUI changes.

But going from 8 to 8.1 means they are pretty much releasing a entire update to the OS and didn't want to release it as 9 so they release a .1 update with a new skin :D

If this 8.1 version works well it could mean a HUGE shift.

ipaine

Hey if, and I do mean if they allow you to boot to desktop, have a proper start menu and will let metro apps run in windows, then I will upgrade. But without those I will be sticking with win 7 for the foreseeable future.

Desiato

Good news about the boot to desktop and start menu!

There are no hard rules about the version numbers. The difference between Windows 8 and 8.1 will certainly be less than the difference between 4 (95) and 4.1 (98) 5 (2000) and 5.1 (XP), etc...

However, Microsoft has indicated they intend to have a more aggressive Windows upgrade strategy:

Windows Blue and Microsoft's continuous upgrade strategy - Computerworld

This is kind of how it was in the 90s when desktop PCs were rapidly evolving. Blue to me seems more like a 98 SE or 95's OEM SRs.

muse108dc

I havent been to the Start screen in months now, forgot that it wasnt normal to boot to desktop... owell. So far looks like Microsoft is making minor improvements but still mostly focused on the metro UI. If they charge for this I will not both, theres no point I've already added all the relevant functionality back anyways.

sswilson

Staff member

I don't buy his argument though. He starts with the basic assumption that Microsoft couldn't offer both a tablet and a desktop version / interface for windows 8. Tablets might be the wave of the future, but the tablet interface is incompatible with the only PC market (business) that will not be shifting over to tablets.

muse108dc

Adding a .1 to the 8 is FAR more than a service pack.

A service is generally a mass conglomeration of fixes, updates and such with perhaps some GUI changes.

But going from 8 to 8.1 means they are pretty much releasing a entire update to the OS and didn't want to release it as 9 so they release a .1 update with a new skin :D

If this 8.1 version works well it could mean a HUGE shift.

I'm not so sure, Sp2 for XP was rather massive.

I'm not sold on the .1 upgrade, mostly because from now on Microsoft is going to take an evolutionary path for Windows in the future, more iterative than previous their previous OSes. It means that they are going to keep going with the ideology/philosophy of Windows 8 for the foreseeable future. In the past versions of Windows there have been relatively major changes between OSes. With this concept I dont see any innovation coming quickly, just improvements to whats already there.

Maybe its just because I was placing quite a bit of hopes in Windows 9 ditching metro and going back to the desktop paradigm or at least not investing as much in metro and putting more effort into the desktop again.

Edit. Well Microsoft is proving that they are still morons. The Start Button will be back but will just take you to the Start Screen instead of having a Start Menu attached.

Last edited:

Latest posts