What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The AMD R9 Fury X Review; Fiji Arrives. Comment Thread

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The "wait for drivers" is a crutch for us reviewers. Plain and simple.

The story repeats itself in EVERY AMD review.

Get it right, THEN launch.

The problem with AMD is their CEOs have this nasty habit of promising things during their investor calls. This time Fiji was promised "before the end of Q2". Guess what happened? A thoroughly rushed launch, very little availability and lackluster reviews.

It still isn't an excuse either. The Fiji architecture has been around forever now in one form or another (HD 7000, R9, etc.) and you're telling me they STILL have issues with perf? That's seriously worrying...

lowfat

Staff member
I do find ULMB to be as important as any G/FreeSync though, and I find the benefits start to show early, at around 72-80 hz/fps.
ULMB should engage at 85hz. Anything less and the back light will stop strobbing. But unless you set your refresh rate to 85Hz and keep on vsync you get tearing.

They need to have both gsync and ULMB together. Not either or IMO.

Dzzope

It still isn't an excuse either. The Fiji architecture has been around forever now in one form or another (HD 7000, R9, etc.) and you're telling me they STILL have issues with perf? That's seriously worrying...
I was talking to a friend yesterday about the new HBM tech and how it works, what he was telling me about how game designers load assets into memory has me worried that the performance issues being seen in some benchmarks is an inherent problem with the architecture and would explain why it affects 1440 as much as UHD..

Only time will tell for sure but if he's right, then AMD could be in some serious trouble with it. Though I think it should be showing up in many more games.

I'll talk to him again tomorrow and see if I can get exact details of what he thinks the issue is and see what you guys think of it.

'47 Knucklehead

The "wait for drivers" is a crutch for us reviewers. Plain and simple.

The story repeats itself in EVERY AMD review.

Get it right, THEN launch.

The problem with AMD is their CEOs have this nasty habit of promising things during their investor calls. This time Fiji was promised "before the end of Q2". Guess what happened? A thoroughly rushed launch, very little availability and lackluster reviews.

I agree. I remember back in the DX10 days when AMD fans were saying "Wait for AMD to optimize the drivers." Well, nothing.

Same later with DX11. "Wait until AMD optimizes the drivers!" Well, nothing.

Fury X comes out, gets beaten by the GTX 980Ti for the same price, what is today's cry? You got it ... "Wait for DirectX 12 to come out!"

You know what? Screw waiting for AMD to get off their butts and fix their drivers. They aren't.

We had to wait, what, a year with AMD swearing up and down that there was no microstuttering in Crossfire. Then when PCPer sat down and PROVED IT with a scope, 6 months later AMD fixed it ... for DX11, then a couple months later, DX10. They STILL haven't fixed it for DX9 ... which a ton of games still are running on.

Me, I'm not buying an AMD card until the drivers are fix BEFORE the card sells, not some hollow promise (you know, like FreeSync) of how it will work down the road.

FreeSync was promised 6 months ago. Then 4 months. We are STILL waiting for a damn driver to work with multiple monitors and multiple video cards months later for Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

sa seba

At this point, I have had it with AMD. I have bought Phenoms, Visheras, Kaveris and Kabinis, as well as GPUs ranging from 4890 to 290, all despite of performance promises not archived, and all in the name of supporting the under dog.
Limited R&D due to financial strains leads to falling behind the big players, but there is also something horribly wrong in how they handle PR and the promises they make to keep investors on the ball, and enthusiasts waiting for product launches that end up disappointing.
Less or barely on par performance for the same or more price than the competitor's product, no availability, unifinished review samples and drivers...

They need a new direction, leadership and infusion of funds to boost innovation, in other words, someone needs to buy AMD.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member

bradleyg5

Man those are hugely disappointing overclocking results, I was hoping it would allow some huge voltage increases and the overclock would end up being temperature limited. Power limiter is way to low. GTX 980ti gets over a 20% overclock AND you can overclock the memory too. GTX 980ti absolutely crushes the Fury X if you are going to manually overclock both.

ern88

Man those are hugely disappointing overclocking results, I was hoping it would allow some huge voltage increases and the overclock would end up being temperature limited. Power limiter is way to low. GTX 980ti gets over a 20% overclock AND you can overclock the memory too. GTX 980ti absolutely crushes the Fury X if you are going to manually overclock both.
We'll just have to wait till AMD gets the O/C tools updated for the Fury's. Then we will see how well it O/C's. Since right now programs aren't designed for the card!!!!

Dzzope

Said it again and again... Unfortunately it's come true (again)... AMD needs out of the box consistency with the drivers / performance and day 1 availability...

Anyone know of anywhere with actual stock or has even heard of anyone that has gotten their hands on one (not a review sample)

Quick point on review samples... Usually companies are accused of cherry-picking the samples they send to reviewers (or worse, increasing the spec on those units)
AMD goes the other way... lets send stuff that isn't ready...

C'mon AMD, your gone past shooting yourself in the foot.. your now onto legs and arms.. next will be belly or head..

10e

ULMB should engage at 85hz. Anything less and the back light will stop strobbing. But unless you set your refresh rate to 85Hz and keep on vsync you get tearing.

They need to have both gsync and ULMB together. Not either or IMO.
My experience is different because I used ToastyX's hack on my BenQ XL2420T from before to enable the Lightboost LMB mode so it didn't matter what the FPS was at that time, the backlight simply strobed with the set refresh rate. I don't see why G-sync plus ULMB would sync the strobe with the FPS, it seems counterproductive to me. Set it at the refresh rate and users can adjust the rest.

I'm going to have to check it out on my FG2421 from Eizo to retrain my eyes again on it, but going from memory it seemed to be very effective once FPS was above that level.

I'll wait that part of it out, and this is why I usually have one AMD GPU rig and one nVidia GPU rig just to see how this stuff all plays out, but I haven't bought a monitor in a long time, something rare for me.

Thanks for the info, lowfat.

Hopefully I'll get that GTX 980Ti up and running this weekend and test with the FG2421 just