What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The AMD R9 Fury X Review; Fiji Arrives. Comment Thread

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Basically, the Fury X is nothing more than a test bed for HBM GEN 1 memory, and AMD is using it in the hopes that people won't buy the GTX 980Ti ... since the rest of their 300 series is basically just a total rebrand of the 200 series.

Exactly my thinking. Exactly! This card v2 will be great.

Except 9xx has been out for six months, and by the time AMD gets this right, nV will have their next gen out...

Vittra

The benefit of Freesync/G-Sync diminishes if you are pushing 100+ fps, compared to ULMB or even just basic operation of 144hz. Unlike the ROG Swift, the XB270HU's response time is linked to refresh rate, so the higher the frames you can get, the better your response time as well.

I will admit the XB270HU was fantastic, but unfortunately it had dust behind the screen and dead pixels so it was returned. I have been waiting since the ROG Swift's announcement for an IPS variant of the 2560x1440/144hz/Gsync(/Freesync) combination, and am hoping the PG279Q has decent QC out the gate if Acer doesn't sort things out.

the_guitarboy

I'm thinking that price HAS to be an error. If it isn't then, wow, that's a deal and should be more compelling than a 980Ti (at least in price /performace).

NCIX's prices are ~$830 and Newegg.ca's are starting at $799.99, is still competitive.

Sure Visiontek isn't exactly a prestigious brand, but I'm positive that can't be right.

I have one in my cart right now. Total price = 796.11.

Anyone have any RMA experience with VisionTek in Canada?

FreeKnight

Listing as sold out now. $796.11 makes more sense. There was no way $699 was correct. I wonder if anyone scooped it up in time and if it'll be honored if they did.

stylesj

a well written review gents! Little underwhelmed with its performance, but I can see that this architecture is still in its infancy stages . I just have this feeling that nvidia will do a better job bringing this hbm architecture into maturity and then really put a stranglehold on amd. Did the 980ti really force amd's hands here at getting the fury X out sooner to help levy/ salvage some damage control? the only downside for me is I'm still stuck on the fences about my next graphics upgrade . I want to get rid of my 780's and get into some high refresh 1440 and this doesn't make it any easier.

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
The benefit of Freesync/G-Sync diminishes if you are pushing 100+ fps, compared to ULMB or even just basic operation of 144hz. Unlike the ROG Swift, the XB270HU's response time is linked to refresh rate, so the higher the frames you can get, the better your response time as well.

I will admit the XB270HU was fantastic, but unfortunately it had dust behind the screen and dead pixels so it was returned. I have been waiting since the ROG Swift's announcement for an IPS variant of the 2560x1440/144hz/Gsync(/Freesync) combination, and am hoping the PG279Q has decent QC out the gate if Acer doesn't sort things out.

This is the whole point though. I have the VG278HE. My 2-7970's can no longer push 100+ fps in modern titles, and xfire sli is a crap shoot. Now with freesync/gsync we no longer have to spend huge bucks on multi gpu systems to get smooth gameplay.
A 34" 1440 ultrawide IPS with variable refresh is the holy grail for my next purchase.

Vittra

Yes, but at a compromise, which was my point. The XB270HU suffers from poor response times at the refresh rates where Gsync is most beneficial. It becomes a trade off. The Freesync solutions on monitors with a minimum 40hz due to the scalar will halve fps when it hits that bottom range. The ROG swift performs well in all regards and metrics, unless you cannot accept TN.

The Acer 34" IPS wide screen will have a 75hz max Gsync, from my understanding. 90hz would have been nice but not possible currently. Hopefully it doesn't suffer from poor response times at low refresh rates.

AkG

This is the whole point though. I have the VG278HE. My 2-7970's can no longer push 100+ fps in modern titles, and xfire sli is a crap shoot. Now with freesync/gsync we no longer have to spend huge bucks on multi gpu systems to get smooth gameplay.
A 34" 1440 ultrawide IPS with variable refresh is the holy grail for my next purchase.

Nah man, forget 1440P. The HOLY GRAIL will be a 30(ish)-inch 4K, 10-bit IPS Gsync monitor. One monitor to rule them all type deal. ;)

lowfat

Staff member
Why is no one mentioned the fan AMD is using? Never once has a company used such a stellar fan right out of the box. :punk:

FreeKnight

Why is no one mentioned the fan AMD is using? Never once has a company used such a stellar fan right out of the box. :punk:

Errr, what's so fancy about it compared to a scythe/corsair/noctua etc? Or more apples to apples, compared to the fan on an EVGA hybrid, kraken, HXXX, etc?

Latest posts