What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the Stuff That's Just Really Cool thread

Lysrin

Recurring Nova possible this year

This recurring nova is only one of five in our galaxy. This happens because T CrB is a binary system with a white dwarf and red giant. The stars are close enough that as the red giant becomes unstable from its increasing temperature and pressure and begins ejecting its outer layers, the white dwarf collects that matter onto its surface. The shallow dense atmosphere of the white dwarf eventually heats enough to cause a runaway thermonuclear reaction – which produces the nova we see from Earth.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/Watch_the_Skies/2024/02/27/view-nova-explosion-new-star-in-northern-crown/

Blog
Whew that's an hour long. I'll add that to the Watch Later list for later today!

GeezerGamer

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Thought to see the cost being an arm, leg and a first born? Thx for the post💯
I know...the price is stellar, but alas, that also makes the quality of the optics suspect because if it's too good to be true, it usually is. I wish I had $300 USD to fritter away and lose so I could get the kit for my wife though. :(

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

Latest posts