What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the Stuff That's Just Really Cool thread

moocow

Bird flu genetic parts detected in US pasteurized milk. Not sure if the pasteurization processed killed the virus or not but then again I'm not dumb enough to consume raw milk.

sswilson

Staff member
Not mind blowingly cool, but I've recently been seeing the Nix Mini in my feeds and it's all I can do to not rush out to buy one. :)

It's essentially a portable colour match device like they'd use when you brought a paint chip into the hardware store.

LaughingCrow

Bird flu genetic parts detected in US pasteurized milk. Not sure if the pasteurization processed killed the virus or not but then again I'm not dumb enough to consume raw milk.

Pasteurizing will kill it. The worrying thing is that it shows H5N1 has been in cattle for a lot longer than expected. In a related note, Alberta (and probably elsewhere) has seen an increase in the sale of uninspected meat. If it's passed to cattle in larger numbers, then it has the potential to pass/mutate to other animals.

The bigger worry is that H5N1, an avian influenza has jumped to animals. H5N1 in poultry factory farms has resulted in having to cull a lot of poultry in recent years including Canada. Given the state of factory farming, transportation of animals, corporate cutbacks, etc. along with how the COVID pandemic was mishandled, isn't very assuring to me.

H5N1 in humans is the one that worries medicine and science the most - it has a human mortality rate of over 50%,

Avian Influenza

moocow

Here's an brief history from US CDC. Since I'm originally from Hong Kong, I still kind of keep tabs of what happens there. It was a pretty scary thing when it was detected since they basically had to gassed all the farmed birds whenever bird flu was detected. I remember one news coverage of some duck farmers in China had to bury their birds alive because the government didn't have or ran out of CO2.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

LaughingCrow

Here's an brief history from US CDC. Since I'm originally from Hong Kong, I still kind of keep tabs of what happens there. It was a pretty scary thing when it was detected since they basically had to gassed all the farmed birds whenever bird flu was detected. I remember one news coverage of some duck farmers in China had to bury their birds alive because the government didn't have or ran out of CO2.

More scary, startling news from Texas in the US. Cats (probably) consuming unpasteurized cow milk have been dying.

Since 2022, the USDA has found H5N1 in over 200 mammals, from big cats in zoos to harbor seals, mountain lions, raccoons, skunks, squirrels, polar bears, black bears, foxes, and bottlenose dolphins.

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ird-flu-from-cows-to-cats-suspected-in-texas/

Latest posts