What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "What book are you reading" Thread

vulcan500rider

Starship Troopers is good, vintage Heinlein. Don't expect an action packed romp like what we saw in the film (in-fact, the film departed so far from the book they hardly deserve the same name). There is some good action, but the novel is very political, and explores the nuances of military hierarchy, imperialism, capital punishment, and other hot-button issues & ideologies that are still very relevant today.

Agreed. Starship Troopers is probably still my favourite Sci-Fi novel; brilliant, and inspired many other authors of the genre, similar to what Tolkien did for fantasy, IMO.

Actually, I just finished John Scalzi's Old Man's War and the other two books in that trilogy. It borrows heavily from Heinlein (which Scalzi acknowledges) and is a rather quick, easy read, but was actually quite good.

sswilson

Staff member
Currently reading the earliest "Astounding Stories" available as a free e-pub from Project Gutenberg (Feb 1930). Considering there are 14 month's worth of short(ish) stories, I should be good for quite some time..... Now it's time to find out if libraries and book publishers have joined the 21'st century.... ;)

Arinoth

Staff member
Not completely related to what you are reading, however it seems one of the big novel selling giants will be closing its doors forever. I don't know about most of you, but for me I still prefer to read novels in their paperback form rather then on a screen.

Calling Off Auction, Borders to Liquidate - NYTimes.com

On the actual discussion of novels, my favourite sci-fi novel/series would have to be Dune by Frank Herbert. I've read the original 6 several times over the span of my life and always enjoy reading them. I've read most of the post Frank work, which isn't terrible (I use it as plausible back story) though it isn't as good as the original stuff. I just wish Dune could get a proper movie made of it as the 1980s movie was alright for the time, though doesn't do the novel justice. The Sci-Fi channel two mini-series movies of Dune and Children of Dune (which combined books 2 and 3) were alright though what the hell was up with the digitally mastered blue within blue eyes rather then just contacts is beyond me.

Some novels I want to read sometime within the future are, the original Starship Troopers novel, the original Bourne novels, and the novels which Games of Thrones is based on.

Last edited:

Socrates_Johnston

On the actual discussion of novels, my favourite sci-fi novel/series would have to be Dune by Frank Herbert. I've read the original 6 several times over the span of my life and always enjoy reading them. I've read most of the post Frank work, which isn't terrible (I use it as plausible back story) though it isn't as good as the original stuff. I just wish Dune could get a proper movie made of it as the 1980s movie was alright for the time, though doesn't do the novel justice. The Sci-Fi channel two mini-series movies of Dune and Children of Dune (which combined books 2 and 3) were alright though what the hell was up with the digitally mastered blue within blue eyes rather then just contacts is beyond me.

I feel like the dune universe is far too deep to be captured in a single motion picture (or even a series of motion pictures)... but who knows, if the right director helms the picture, it could be awesome (LoTR turned out alright)

Dwayne

Currently reading Second Stage Lensmen by EE Doc Smith. I revisit these old friends every so often. My only complaint is that not enough vintage stuff is coming on the Kindle :) It is hard to go back to paper once I got the reader.

Arinoth

Staff member
I feel like the dune universe is far too deep to be captured in a single motion picture (or even a series of motion pictures)... but who knows, if the right director helms the picture, it could be awesome (LoTR turned out alright)

My thoughts exactly, look at some series based on novels whom have 2 parters for their finale book to squeeze it all in. I think 2 2-2.5 hour movies could do Dune justice if it was done with the attempting to follow Frank Herbert's dream more carefully.

Eldonko

Now reading - The Clockmaker; The Sayings and Doings of Sam Slick of Slickville

A piece of NS history

Arinoth

Staff member
Well the birthday gift from my fiancee finally came in, backed up canada post hurray!

Looks like she wants to keep me out of trouble and occupied for a long period of time as this is what I got and will be reading when I have time

PerryC

Excellent choice in books....only A Dance with Dragons is finally out....so you'll need to get that one too.

Arinoth

Staff member
I think I'm going to be occupied for a while with just those 4, I'll eventually get on it