What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

want to get my first SSD

AkG

Okay, so from what you've told us, my crosshair IV will pass along the TRIM command as long as i have the:

- current bios, chipset drivers for the mobo
- set the SATA to AHCI instead of IDE

With that being said, should i flash my mobo first with the new bios/chipset before installing WIN 7?

I was reading this:

Guide THE BASIC GUIDE & FAQ - ABC for OCZ SSD

And thats a lot of steps just to install my SSD in my mobo. BTW, i have the Vertex 2 Ext models.

AKG,

What do you mean degraded state?

I would flash the mobo to the latest firmware before doing anything...as that is what I always do. IF it goes back it doesnt matter as you havent invested any real time in the build yet.

TBH, most steps are not really needed. Make sure defrag is off, move the temp file / pg file to another drive and thats really all that is ABSOLUTELY needed.

semi degraded state in the case of the SF drives means it will only clean cells as they are needed (think "Just In Time" inventory mgmt at the cell level). It means the numbers you get when you FIRST use the drive are not going be the same after you use it for a couple months. You will never, ever notice the lowered performance in the real world as they have power to burn BUT it does make them odd compared to the competition. Only time will tell if they are right on the added longevity or not...but my bet is they are correct...whether or not that matters is another thing as most peeps will use it for a couple years (at most) and then get a faster model...LONG before the NAND in it dies. :)~

Is the V100 the same as V+100? I wasn't sure which is why I went with the intel.
Would that be better for my 790FX mobo?

Here's the drives for reference:

Kingston SSDNow V100:
Kingston SSDNow V100 2.5in SATA II Solid State Drive, 128GB at Memory Express Computers

Intel X25-M:
Intel X25-M SATA Solid-State Drive Kit, 120GB w/ Adapter at Memory Express Computers

No, the V+100 is the firmware upgraded version of the the V+. The V 100 is the upgraded version of the SSDNow V second gen. Bascially they are what the orginals should have gotten for free. Other companies include firmware updates on their drives, they do NOT make you buy a whole damn new drive to get better firmware (though to be fair they did do some other minor improvements)! I would pass on the V 100 as its an entry level SSD that has lowered 4k performance.

IMHO:
Intel/Crucial/SF > Indilinx > Toshiba > JM
YMMV

Scart

AkG, this is why you're the best!

Good to know I made the right choice.
I guess I just need to use those Intel tools to clean the drive.

AkG

Thanks guys. Always happy to help when & where I can.

Lyxtwing

Bit late to add this, but I thought I would mention it anyway as I was looking into the exact same thing as the original poster. Last night I ordered a boxing week special 2tb off of ncix for $80, and they offered a Vertex 2 60gb with it for 99.99, or 79.99 after mir.

Latest posts