What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

want to get my first SSD

rjbarker

^ I would personally go with the Intel one as they seem to perform pretty good in reviews, check out the latest mushkin review here, Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 40GB SSD Single & RAID Review

Just to check out the comparisons of the other devices.

I've also heard pretty good about the sandforce controllers so maybe that might be a better choice.

Just curious, how many SSD's have you tried out / tested?

^^^^ Did I not just read a very detailed description Posted by AkG re: best SSD's to consider with justification?...........with that said, I've got 3 Intel G2 80GB, 1 Vertex 120GB and the've been great!!!
Just ordered a Vertex II SF 240GB....

Gotta love SSD's ;)

gingerbee

I personal have had 5x intel v40gb, 3x80gb intel g2, 4x32gb a-data, 4x gskill 64gb falcon 1's, and a couple of warp v2 that i have used in my own house and purchased and tested the patriot torqx and torqx-m + warp v3 and the Kingston v30 oh and v+ 64gb for clients. I like the intel ones the best i have yet to play with any sandforce drives. key word being yet just give me some time he he

rjbarker

^^^ Great choice...been running both the "Non-SF" 120GBin my Notebook (for Data) along with the Intel 80GB G2 (for OS) same Notebook for almost a year.....no issues at all and lightening fast still!!
Both have TRIM support running W7.

For the Intel SSD I run the Intel Tool Box once every few weeks
For the Vertex I leae my Notebook in the "Log-in" Screen once every few weeks.

Scart

I ended up picking up an Intel X25-M 120 Gig from MemEx.
Hopefully I can find out whether it was a good choice or not within 7 days.

Prolab

Personally, no matter what you do with your games I would keep 15-20% free on the SSD as that way it will have more room for the wear leveling to work. With the 120s, I like to consider them 100s and with the 60s I like to consider them 50gb'ers. The more room free, the more free cells, the longer the SSD will last. This assumes you plan on keeping it for 3+ years as otherwise I doubt you could do anything to it to kill it faster than that! :)

Thats the reason why i purchased a 60 and a 120 GB. Specifically, i bought a Vertex 2. Does the Vertex have a utility for clean up.

BTW, im getting my new mobo (Asus Crosshair IV) in a few days, i just need to install it with AHCI enabled.

Rescue119

so now that i have it........when i install it it should be just plug and play right........nothing i should worry about? Just gonna reinstall W7 and then go from there............

one question though......is there a way i can unistall windows 7 from my current harddrive without wiping other stuff or should i just format it as well............

rjbarker

TRIM works "in the background" when the system is idle "Log-in Screen" with Vertex Drives (AkG correct me if I'm wrong)...

W7 and AHCI Drivers will allow TRIM Support.
Before installing W7 go into your BIOS and set SATA Mode to AHCI from IDE, then install W7.

Do not allow "Auto Defrag" of your SSD's - set to "no defrag".

AHCI Mode can be set after installing W7 through Regedit, but easier to do this in BIOS first, before installing the OS