What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

want to get my first SSD

Scart

Thanks a ton guys!
I didn't really have time to educate myself and you guys were a big help.

I'm still a little confused though. Is the problem with AMD boards not supporting TRIM only with the AMD drivers (which are needed for RAID)? Then installing AHCI drivers fixes the problem?

This is just the one thing I'm worried about.

AkG

The ONLY AMD boards that can pass the TRIM command are the newer 8 series. IF you have a 890FX (for example) and use the latest AMD drivers your drive will receive the TRIM command. IF you have an older 790FX (for example) it will NOT. I have proven this to my own satisfaction using numerous SSDs recently.

One interesting thing that can muddy the waters is SF drives....dont do TRIM right away (much like its "ITGC" they do what is called "lazy house cleaning"). It goes through the Durawrite alogs and basically ignores this command (well actually ignore is too strong, it takes note of it and adds the info to its map of used and unused cells it creates over the first few weeks of usage that it constantly updates). It does this so it can (I believe) reuse already written cells that are no longer in use to further reduce the number of writes the drive does. This does mean that even on Intel systems...SF drives will be in a "semi-degraded" state for most of their life. It is the way they are designed and is (partly) why they can get away with using lower grade NAND and still get a longer MTBF than other drives. :)

YoungMan

Whether or not your AMD supports TRIM, you'll always have the Intel toolbox to do your manual trim. Or schedule it to be fully automated.
If the process finishes immediately, it means TRIM is already doing it's job. Also, with the tool, you'll come across a tweak with fetching, do what it suggests.

Nowadays, you should always be using AHCI, or RAID if needed.

martin_metal_88

If you didn't order yet look at memory express. They have a kingston SSD V+100 64GB at 79.99 which is a pretyt nice deal on a decent SSD.They also have a OCZ vertex 2 for like 110$ 60GB version. + the free shiping promo and the speed they process ( lol NCIX ) it will turn out prety cheap price. I just ordered myself one of these kingston as my first SSD.

AkG

Yeah the V+100 is a decent SSD. Its basically the SSDNow V+....with updated firmware (so it doesnt stutter and has aggressive ITGC). Expect mid 50s on the 4k's.

Prolab

The ONLY AMD boards that can pass the TRIM command are the newer 8 series. IF you have a 890FX (for example) and use the latest AMD drivers your drive will receive the TRIM command. IF you have an older 790FX (for example) it will NOT. I have proven this to my own satisfaction using numerous SSDs recently.

One interesting thing that can muddy the waters is SF drives....dont do TRIM right away (much like its "ITGC" they do what is called "lazy house cleaning"). It goes through the Durawrite alogs and basically ignores this command (well actually ignore is too strong, it takes note of it and adds the info to its map of used and unused cells it creates over the first few weeks of usage that it constantly updates). It does this so it can (I believe) reuse already written cells that are no longer in use to further reduce the number of writes the drive does. This does mean that even on Intel systems...SF drives will be in a "semi-degraded" state for most of their life. It is the way they are designed and is (partly) why they can get away with using lower grade NAND and still get a longer MTBF than other drives. :)

Okay, so from what you've told us, my crosshair IV will pass along the TRIM command as long as i have the:

- current bios, chipset drivers for the mobo
- set the SATA to AHCI instead of IDE

With that being said, should i flash my mobo first with the new bios/chipset before installing WIN 7?

I was reading this:

Guide THE BASIC GUIDE & FAQ - ABC for OCZ SSD

And thats a lot of steps just to install my SSD in my mobo. BTW, i have the Vertex 2 Ext models.

AKG,

What do you mean degraded state?

Latest posts