What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what are you using for an M.2 to USB dongle / adapter / enclosure?

CMetaphor

Quadfather
This is nvme, not m.2, but for those looking for speed, I did a lot of research and grabbed this one:
ORICO NVMe M.2 SSD Enclosure Case USB3.1 Gen2 10Gbps Aluminum Alloy Case with 2TB Large Capacity Support for Window/Mac/Linux-Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07T6JF2KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_V8CZDbZQGCK23

Yes, it's more expensive. But it seems to have the best controller, excellent features, good passive cooling and came with both a C/C usb3.1 cable as well as an A/C 3.1 cable. Haven't put in my nvme SSD yet, but every review puts the speed of this (when plugged into a true 3.1 10gbps port) as being very nearly as fast as plugged directly to a 4x nvme slot. I'll confirm that part for myself at some point though.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
This is nvme, not m.2, but for those looking for speed, I did a lot of research and grabbed this one:
ORICO NVMe M.2 SSD Enclosure Case USB3.1 Gen2 10Gbps Aluminum Alloy Case with 2TB Large Capacity Support for Window/Mac/Linux-Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07T6JF2KK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_V8CZDbZQGCK23

Yes, it's more expensive. But it seems to have the best controller, excellent features, good passive cooling and came with both a C/C usb3.1 cable as well as an A/C 3.1 cable. Haven't put in my nvme SSD yet, but every review puts the speed of this (when plugged into a true 3.1 10gbps port) as being very nearly as fast as plugged directly to a 4x nvme slot. I'll confirm that part for myself at some point though.
your link does't work...but for an SSD to be NVMe, it has to be M.2...though it could be U.2 as well perhaps. Google didn't reveal the answer readily to me.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
NVMe shares the same keying as M2 but most will not work in an M2 Sata only slot. Thus why most people differentiate between them. No need to nitpick.

Shadowmeph

so they now have a beta for booting raspi 4 from USB drive of course there are warning about possible damage to the raspi but since I have a second raspi 4 4 gb Ithink I will try it out still not sure what Iam going to use for OS

lowfat

Staff member
so they now have a beta for booting raspi 4 from USB drive of course there are warning about possible damage to the raspi but since I have a second raspi 4 4 gb Ithink I will try it out still not sure what Iam going to use for OS
It isn't a beta anymore. Its in the stable firmware branch now.

Latest posts