What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is your Internet speed?

JD

Staff member
Well Bell pricing keeps going up, figure it's time to try something new. Got Rogers Ignite setup yesterday, 1.5G package with Popular TV for $125.

With the XB8 modem plugged into a multigig SFP adapter to my UDM-Pro, nearly got 2Gbps out of it. Pretty high overprovisioning. Too bad my area is still on 50Mbps upload though sounds like they're slowly rolling out 150Mbps. Heard rumours of them killing off legacy TV, which should allow higher speeds too with the extra channels available. They also announced tighter integration with Xfinity, so maybe that will help push DOCSIS 4.0 along too.

1714078549558.png

I've had dual WAN for many many years now though, and will likely continue to do so. I see Distributel is offering 1Gbps/750Mbps fiber for $50. If Bell isn't able to match, then I guess I'll end up there. Will drop TV/Phone with Bell.

Ignite TV picture quality seems better to me, higher bitrate/less compression, colours seem either more vibrant or more accurate. Much more simplistic network wise too as it doesn't seem to do multicast or need any IGMP setup.

I guess it's neat that Rogers has IPv6, but the downfall is to get it to work on my UDM-Pro, I had to set it as the Primary WAN. Then I have policy-based routing to put some of my VLANs back to using Bell internet where I need the higher upload speeds :)

Thinking I might need to upgrade to the UDM-Pro-Max though...

sswilson

Staff member
Well Bell pricing keeps going up, figure it's time to try something new. Got Rogers Ignite setup yesterday, 1.5G package with Popular TV for $125.

With the XB8 modem plugged into a multigig SFP adapter to my UDM-Pro, nearly got 2Gbps out of it. Pretty high overprovisioning. Too bad my area is still on 50Mbps upload though sounds like they're slowly rolling out 150Mbps. Heard rumours of them killing off legacy TV, which should allow higher speeds too with the extra channels available. They also announced tighter integration with Xfinity, so maybe that will help push DOCSIS 4.0 along too.

View attachment 40504

I've had dual WAN for many many years now though, and will likely continue to do so. I see Distributel is offering 1Gbps/750Mbps fiber for $50. If Bell isn't able to match, then I guess I'll end up there. Will drop TV/Phone with Bell.

Ignite TV picture quality seems better to me, higher bitrate/less compression, colours seem either more vibrant or more accurate. Much more simplistic network wise too as it doesn't seem to do multicast or need any IGMP setup.

I guess it's neat that Rogers has IPv6, but the downfall is to get it to work on my UDM-Pro, I had to set it as the Primary WAN. Then I have policy-based routing to put some of my VLANs back to using Bell internet where I need the higher upload speeds :)

Thinking I might need to upgrade to the UDM-Pro-Max though...

From the speeds I'm guessing you're still on cable? That's actually what you want with Rogers until they start incorporating the ONT into their fiber modems as there's only one high speed port.

WRT image quality, day to day TV was fine, but we found that many of the premium streams left a lot to be desired.... House of Dragon is the one I can remember for sure... So much banding it looked like they were upscaling a 480i source. :(

JD

Staff member
From the speeds I'm guessing you're still on cable? That's actually what you want with Rogers until they start incorporating the ONT into their fiber modems as there's only one high speed port.

WRT image quality, day to day TV was fine, but we found that many of the premium streams left a lot to be desired.... House of Dragon is the one I can remember for sure... So much banding it looked like they were upscaling a 480i source. :(
Yeah still cable, I'm doubtful Rogers will run fiber over top if they manage to get rid of legacy TV as they could run 10G down, 1G up on DOCSIS 3.1 too.

You paid for HBO as a channel, or is that through Crave or something else? Odd why the quality would be so poor though.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah still cable, I'm doubtful Rogers will run fiber over top if they manage to get rid of legacy TV as they could run 10G down, 1G up on DOCSIS 3.1 too.

You paid for HBO as a channel, or is that through Crave or something else? Odd why the quality would be so poor though.

It came as part of the Crave package, and yeah, it was shocking how bad the stream was on some of the popular streaming series'. Banding and arifacting to the point it was almost unwatchable especially during dark scenes. It was so bad I started watching them on the crave app through my firestick rather than streaming from the set top box.

JD

Staff member
Well Crave is owned by Bell, and this Rogers platform is really just Comcast's Xfinity, so I wonder if it's more that the company's aren't playing nice... :rolleyes:

Latest posts