What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

moocow

Picked up an used Shuttle H110 barebone system to put in a spare Celey G4400. Turns out the box got 4GB of RAM, a WD Blue 500GB spinner, an i3-6100, and a 4 port telephony card. I don't even know what to do with this card. It's listed for $400 USD on eBay.

img_0221-jpg.29467

Attachments

• IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 85

lowfat

Staff member
Picked up an used Shuttle H110 barebone system to put in a spare Celey G4400. Turns out the box got 4GB of RAM, a WD Blue 500GB spinner, an i3-6100, and a 4 port telephony card. I don't even know what to do with this card. It's listed for $400 USD on eBay.

img_0221-jpg.29467
Listed but I'd say its unlikely to sell. You can do an advanced search to see what they've actually sold for. Like what even purpose would this be used for now?

Izerous

Folding Team
Glad to see it works. Is that the UV light style?

Yeah Freeknight? mentioned the DynaTrap ones figured I'd try one as well due to how my youngest reacts to misquote bites. UV light and a fan, no zapper etc and it seems to be working well. There are still lots buzzing around my back yard but they don't seem to be an dense as before.

clshades

Yeah Freeknight? mentioned the DynaTrap ones figured I'd try one as well due to how my youngest reacts to misquote bites. UV light and a fan, no zapper etc and it seems to be working well. There are still lots buzzing around my back yard but they don't seem to be an dense as before.
Cool. I grabbed 2 of them. One for the kids and one for the main floor.

FreeKnight

Yep it was me. I just cleaned mine out yesterday :S

If you really want to target mosquitos putting an octenol lure in the trap is supposed to make a massive difference. I've noticed a substantial reduction even without it, but have a few and may toss one in after the next spell of rain.

Izerous

Folding Team
Quad E7440 5U server... With a wack load of ram. Not that it is practicle but I'd love to find 4 cheap waterblocks just because

Izerous

Folding Team
Quad E7440 5U server... With a wack load of ram. Not that it is practicle but I'd love to find 4 cheap waterblocks just because

The new server was throwing ram errors on POST but I think i have it sorted out took some noise measurements.

The 1U Asus has dual e5420's and the 5U has quad E7440 not that the CPU makes a difference in startup noises but the difference in CPU power to noise becomes more interesting with the sacrifice of space.

At startup with everything is full bore both were ~72dB
The 5U sitting on the carpet of my basement was ~50dB at idle
The 1U in the cabinet lined with sound deadening material and the door open was ~62dB
The 1U with the door closed was ~42dB. (20dB drop just from closing the door)
have not gotten the 5U into the cabinet yet to take readings I want to make sure that the ram post errors are gone.

The pitch of the 1U however with over a dozen of those 40mm fans just carries though through the whole house even with the cabinet closed. If the 1U drops 20dB just being in the cabinet, if the 5U also drops 20dB combined with the lower pitch that isn't nearly as ear peircing should be a much quieter computer to leave running.

lowfat

Staff member
A $20 16GB Optane m.2 drive. Hoping to use it in a Z170 for a ZFS SLOG. Intel says they don't. Internet vaguely says they won't work in Z170. But they work in Ryzen so why wouldn't they? I guess we will see when it shows up.

Well, guess Intel is full of it, and they'll work in any system that supports NVMe.

Latest posts