What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to get firearms training?

trodas

my Grand dad said it was his own fault for not paying attention to the area around him

Agreed. It most cases, confrontation could be avoided. However more important that serious rifle power (.22 shooting at bear? Come on...) is to not freeze or panic when problems are rapidly approaching. And that is what no gun course will teach you. Targets don't shoot back, you know?

When grizzly are charging, then most people aim get pretty wacky to say at least. Fear make the grizzly size increase into gigantic proportions, while when the poor bear is lying down on it's side, it suddently feel so small and - despite his serious paws and teeth - even a bit helpless.

As for the rifle, you are never wrong with the ZKK 602 and I did not say that just because they manufacture them just about 100km near me. I say that, because the rifle is sturdy, proven in time and reliable. And most importantly - did not kick like a mule, yet can take bear down. And in case your hand is shaking, you got another rounds to reload as this is classic bolt-action Mouser type weapon.
Most problems die sooner that they can hurt you, when quietly backing up fail to work.

supaflyx3

While I do agree the 602 is a nice rifle, you don't want a bolt action for self defense. Like you said panic causes problems, if you miss your first shot you may be doomed.

Masteroderus

First off, forget about sidearm training, you are NOT allowed to carry a pistol anywhere in canada, restricted firearms are locked down. You can take the gun from the gun safe to a range in a locked box with a trigger lock and the ammo in another locked box and fire it after faxing a permission slip back and forth to Nanny central. Getting caught with a pistol, even on your own ranch, can result in a lifetime weapons ban. Don't do it friends.

There should be some local in your area running the standard non restricted course. Restricted weapons are only for target shooters in Canada and you will not get one unless you intend to buy a range membership and only intend to get restricted weapons for putting holes in paper. That's ok though because most restricted weapons will just piss off a grizzly bear. To cope with grizzlies, elk and the most dangerous, a bull moose on the rut (look it up, they're much more dangerous than anything but a polar bear) you need something that's really frekin powerful.

Get either a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs (about 400 grain), which is way more powerful than a rifle at short distances. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug or the good old fashioned Canadian gun, the Lee Enfield (.303 brit), which is a 177 grain bullet. I cannot recommend the .303 brit enough. You are allowed to use 10 round magazines in Canada because it is a bolt action rifle, ammo is common (even up north) and it'll kill a polar bear. It has an iron sight range of 1200 yards, and can push that to a mile with a trained sniper using it. This rifle, well a variant of it, was used by NATO as their primary sniper's rifle until the mid 80's. Mine was made in 44 and is indestructible. It is one of very few real Canadian cultural icons.

Personally if it was a gun for self defense and not for hunting i'd get a remmington 870 and always have slugs in it. But practice with it, the iron sights on the typical shotgun are factory set at about 100 yards, so yeah, practice with it.

Don't expect that you can just climb your way out of any trouble in the bush. Cougars can climb trees and take pleasure in murder. Furthermore, a Grizzly bear isn't your worst enemy in the bush, it's a moose. A bull moose on the rut will charge you.

I don't mean to scare anyone or to portray that i'm some sort of poacher or senseless critter murderer; I have never had to shoot an animal. I make lots of noise when I move through the bush, and make hooting calls a lot to make sure I don't spook anything. I am a steward of a large natural area and seek to have minimal impact on the land, to keep it pristine for future generations. But my right to self defense stems from the responsibility I have to protect myself and my loved ones, and thus I legally and lawfully carry firearms whenever I can. I encourage everyone else to do the same so that some city slicker from toronto can't take all our guns away. Use it or lose it.

ZZLEE

Your local store that sell firearms will likely know some trainers in your area.

badgoalie

Where to go for training

Hey man,

Get in touch with Civil Advantage for your PAL/RPAL training. They do a great job and I highly recommend them. You're going to have to drive a little bit, but it's worth it. Their website has their upcoming courses. I went to them for my PAL/RPAL and can't say enough good things.

I'm going to dodge the other question, there are so many good choices out there it's really up to you. I would suggest making sure you factor in the price of ammo in your choice. It doesn't matter how capable your rifle is if you can't affort to shoot it enough to get competent and comfortable. I would suggest starting on rimfire (.22) and shooting a few thousand rounds to get a reasonably solid base (position, sight picture, breathing and trigger control), then move up to full power.

Whatever you chose, be safe and learn from a pro.

BG

AkG

Ok...NOW I am jealous. You lucky SOB! Ive been using Zkk's since the 80s and always wanted to visit the factory. Though maybe its good thing they are across the pond from me...as I would be basically signing every pay check over to them :p

To the OP. I do agree. Good way to 'train' for such scenarios...look up "3 Gun ipsc". Shooting at paper never gets the adrenaline moving. Runnin' and gunnin' will. Still not as good as the real deal, but will help you out immensely AND is so much fun it should be illegal (hell if the CFOs had their way...it would be)!

As for the rifle, you are never wrong with the ZKK 602 and I did not say that just because they manufacture them just about 100km near me. I say that, because the rifle is sturdy, proven in time and reliable. And most importantly - did not kick like a mule, yet can take bear down. And in case your hand is shaking, you got another rounds to reload as this is classic bolt-action Mouser type weapon.
Most problems die sooner that they can hurt you, when quietly backing up fail to work.