What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Winter Tires: And Why YOU Need Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmuseMe

Hey everyone,
If you have the time, please read this post thoroughly, and don't skip any parts.

Haven't been to active lately. Been recovering from an accident... Let me start by saying that I've only been driving for five years (since I was 15), and have done 2 years of professional driving (hot shot driving in Alberta, including driving the horrible Hi-way 2 from Calgary to Edmonton many times, even in the worst of snow storms!). I have had a clean abstract the entire time. Not one slip, not even a teeny tiny door ding.

I just want to stress the idea of winter tires, or even all season tires. I was never really a beliver in them myself, but now I am.

Basically, this may have been prevented if the vehicles had winter tires...

Well, I'm sure some of you have seen the pictures of my '07 Tundra (see below)
52786_410286659040915_2081275782_o_zps9cc1f30a.jpg

Well, being someone who really cares about how something "looks" rather than how it "performs", I thought I would just keep my General Grabber M/T tires on all winter. (I did have a set of Yokahoma winter tires ordered, and my 20" stock Limited Rims where at the powdercoaters, but they where not ready).

Anyways, I was on my way up to St. Paul, AB and was cruising just north of town. The roads appeared to be okay, and as far as my HIDs and KC lights could see, there was nothing too harsh. I did notice snow drifts a ways away, so I slowed it down (to about 80km/h). Once the snow drifts seemed to be okay, I decided to take it back up to 90/95km/h, after all, the roads looked okay and the vehicle was handling just fine. Well, the roads WHERE not okay. Black ice! The truck did a 180-degree spin, went into the ditch rear-end first, hit the approach, CLEARED the approach (I was airborne) and landed drivers side down. I had no idea how bad it was until the entire rear window imploded into the vehicle, and the side curtains deployed.

Here you can see the length the truck cleared before landing...
IMG_1234_zps6eb30fde.jpg

IMG_1236_zpsa66d05a7.jpg

What I remember after landing was thinking "Holy Fu**! I just rolled it!". My first reaction was to turn the engine off, as it was still running. After turning it off, and taking the keys out, I tried to remove my seatbelt, which would not unbuckle, or loose it's restraint. I found an exacto knife and cut myself free. I also remembering trying to open the passenger side door to get out (which obviously isn't something you want to do, but the adrenaline kept me going. That door wouldn't budge. I was trying to get out the back window, but the glass posed too much of a threat.

I then sat there honking my horn, and flashing my hi-beams on and off. I remember seeing someone drive by and running into the ditch and asking if I was okay - then I blacked out. I apparently called my girlfriend and said I rolled my vehicle, which I do not remember doing. After this, I only remember bits and pieces of what happened. I remember the fire and rescue team putting a blanket over me, and telling me to close my eyes - then my wind-shield was removed, two men came in, and I was placed on a spine board - black out once again.

Now I am looking up at a bright light in the hospital, and start to panic... That's when my girlfriend walked in, just a wreck looking at me. I calmed down. The doctors ran their tests and what not, and I was released within three hours without any issues other than a few scraps - not even cuts - on my head.

The picture below are something that you never want your loved ones to see...

IMG_1229_zps2f6f2122.jpg

IMG_1230_zps24ed2fbd.jpg

And the next day, I go to look at the damage that I did...
IMG_1234_zps1e2b2118.jpg

IMG_1232_zps5fc4af0f.jpg

IMG_1248_zps650dacb8.jpg

IMG_1246_zps3e113264.jpg

IMG_1244_zpsa9846a15.jpg

IMG_1247_zps4fec3fdc.jpg

On the bright side: There was no front end damage, the engine is fine, the Fox 2.5 Remote reservoir shocks and Total Chaos arms where salvagable, and the buy back price was disgustingly cheap! Plus... insurance paid me more than I paid for it. New project all ready almost done, and the new one is well.... gnarly.

Basically, keep your vehicle properly equipped... And please, drive safe this season.

M

member 3099

damn dude, glad you're alright.

And yes, everyone needs winter tires in this country, big 4wd truck or not... 4WD does nothing for stopping! Hell I think my next set of winters is gonna be studded if I think I can handle the noise.

Bond007

Lots of people with4x4 or awd seem to be overconfident(not saying you were) because they don't get stuck easily, but as mentioned above it does nothing for turning and stopping. I never had winters most of my life because I thought my all seasons were fine on the east coast, but then when I got my last car I got a set of winters and rims with it. The difference is noticeable, and I wouldn't go winter driving in Canada without them ever again.

Glad to hear your ok and that the accident didn't leave you in financial hardship. Good luck with the project.

clg

Glad you're ok, hopefully this is enough to sway one person into buying them.

IMO the rest of the provinces should look to Quebec and make winter tires mandatory. We already stipulate what is safe enough to make it on the road as a tire, but we don't require people use the right tires for the season? Boggles my mind. This coming from someone who lives in probably the mildest climate in Canada, Vancouver Island.

enaberif

Sorry you don't NEED winter tires. Ice ice and no tires are going to save your ass. The issue is that you were running tires that get hard as rocks in the winter and don't remain soft and that was the issue.

Honestly I am glad your ok but glad that truck is done.

clg

The issue is that you were running tires that get hard as rocks in the winter and don't remain soft and that was the issue.

As do most automotive summer and all-season tires. You need a tire that doesn't loose significant performance below 7 degress, and last time I checked there is not a place in Canada that doesn't get below freezing let alone 7. If you can afford a car, you can afford tires.

Perineum

While I agree that it's good to give yourself every advantage in regards to driving there is nothing saying that winter tires would have prevented this.

I drove my 86 5.0L Mustang through many winters and never had winter style tires. Traction was non-existant, of course. I drove the Coquihalla Highway during December as well, but only because an avalanche shut down the Fraser Canyon. That was a pretty awful drive because the trucks all had chains on and they chewed up the base layer making the whole trip as if I was driving on a wash board, which made the ass end of the car fishtail the entire pass.

I drove for 20 years up northern BC and never encountered "black ice". I've driven where people claimed there was black ice, but it was always apparent to me that there was ice on the road, either from a sudden lightness in steering or a sheen or sparkle of the road.

I'm not commenting on your situation at all because I was simply not there but I find that the term "black ice" up north was used like the Harley riders "I had to lay the bike down". IE: Black ice was used as if there was no way anyone could do anything and the Harley rider acting like laying the bike down was the best option he had and he or she purposely did so - which would always be the worst choice.

Anyway, really sorry to see your truck in that state. I've always preferred cars over trucks because of the rollover potential of taller vehicles.

Oh and by the way, I have over 4 pages on my driving abstract..... :thumb:

enaberif

As do most automotive summer and all-season tires. You need a tire that doesn't loose significant performance below 7 degress, and last time I checked there is not a place in Canada that doesn't get below freezing let alone 7. If you can afford a car, you can afford tires.

Bullshit tires for my truck even on the low end would cost 1000 and that doesn't including mounting and such.

BryceBooth

Winter tires certainly make a huge difference, and good to hear that you walked out of that okay. I've seen far too many accidents over the years by distracted (tired) drivers and wildlife that haven't been so fortunate.

clg

Bullshit tires for my truck even on the low end would cost 1000 and that doesn't including mounting and such.

And? You have a truck, tires are just as much of a necessity as fuel to make it go down the road. It's a cost you need to factor in when you purchase the vehicle.

Not be be condescending, but I looked at the similar thread "Why don't people put winter tires?" and your post there leads me to believe you don't understand the significance of a snow tire. "Knowing how to drive" and owning a 4x4 does nothing when you surpass what is capable of a tire. You cannot compensate for a tire that simply does not function sufficiently when you have to stop in an emergency or maneuver, that's why those all seasons do not get the certifications for being a snow tire. They're not good enough. As for 4x4, all that does is allow you to get moving. If you're in a situation where you're relying on all 4 wheels putting power to the ground to avoid an accident, chances are you're already in over your head and just trying to salvage what you can for safety.

Sure you may have gotten away fine so far, but that's because you haven't been the unlucky one yet. Would you drive around without your seat belt? I've never been a situation where I needed it in my short 10 years of driving, but I sure as hell am not going to argue how necessary it is.

Your decision to justify risking others lives because you do not want to incur expenses is extremely selfish.

Winter tires making a difference in Quebec
Winter safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts