What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Totally Screwed Up !! Help no display

Malam

I just finished installing a new cpu cooler - OCZ Vendetta 2. After a couple of bruised fingers, I got it firmly inplace. I turned the computer on - the cpu fan came on, the case fans are running, I could hear the clicking of drives, but not display. Nothing ! I have pulled the memory boards out and back, the video card out and back and a few minutes ago reset the cmos..no luck. I noticed that the blue light that shows harddrive access is on steady instead of blinking to show access. Is this a clue ? I am at a loss what else to check. Please help.

Babrbarossa

EEK! Is the DVI cable still firmly plugged into the back of the monitor (I know it sounds dumb, but it happened to me once- not that I'm a model problem solver :)

BT!

if you pulled your cpu out during the switch you might have to re-seed it, i just had that problem with my old P4. i pulled it to clean off the old thermal paste, and when i rebooted it i had the same issue, everything but the monitor came on.

Malam

I did not pull the cpu - I just removed the stock cpu cooler and replaced it with the Vendetta. I had to remove the video card and one memory card to get some needed room, but replaced the video card and the memory card. I've even tried a space memory card but no luck. My video card has two DVI connections at the back and have tried both - no dice either. The fact the the disk access light is on steady does that mean something ?
The new cpu cooler has its own cpu fan plug. The cpu cooler fan works .

sswilson

Staff member
We're starting with the easy things you might have missed, and will carry on to more detail later. (Most of us have had one of those days were the problem is staring us right in the face and we just can't see it... :) ).

That vid card doesn't require a molex connector does it?

Malam

We're starting with the easy things you might have missed, and will carry on to more detail later. (Most of us have had one of those days were the problem is staring us right in the face and we just can't see it... :) ).

That vid card doesn't require a molex connector does it?

I understand and I appreciate the help. No the video card does not need an additional power connector. Is there a way that I could eliminate the video card ? I don't want to buy another card only to find that its the cpu or the motherboard.

Last edited:

random_2

I really could be barking up the wrong tree here, but I think I ran into a similar problem where I had to reset the monitor input to HDMI from either RGB or Component.

frontier204

I would also check all the other wires from the PSU; the last time I had a blank display problem it was because the 4-pin CPU power connector was not plugged in :p

One of the ways I use to eliminate video card problems while monitorless is booting up an OS (either your main OS or a Ubuntu live CD) and listening for a LOGIN SOUND on my speakers and / or the usual disk thrashing that's involved with loading an OS. Hopefully you have a LiveCD lying around and/or you didn't nuke the Vista login sounds like I usually do. If I know my computer is at least able to boot up an OS, I can safely start diagnosing video card problems.

Latest posts