What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Comment Thread for GTX 480 and GTX 470 Reviews

Sushi Warrior

I'm still wondering...
Would most of you consider a 470 from a 5850 an upgrade or more less lateral movement?

There are decent increase in frame rates across the board like you have shown, however, the price difference is a tad higher then 10%, and overall tdp is over 18% higher on load?
Would the 10-15% increase in performance vs 10% price and 18% load W be enough for one to justify moving from red to green?

Sky,
Fantastic work on the reviews. As always we greatly appreciate the time and effort you put into every review.

As long as you're at 19x10 or 16x10 you're looking at a 20% jump with 4xAA... seems like a big enough jump to me. Or at a bare minimum lateral movement.

Delavan

Sky!!! Help me!!!
I'm all confused now lol!

SKY's reviews are awesome as always (all reviews from all reviewers from HC are actually top notch IMHO).

I'm looking into replacing my trusty GTX260 C216. I had great faith in the GTX470 (I need 2 X 6pin cards, my PSU in sig doesn't support 8 pin). SKY loves the GTX470 (almost a HD5870) and Kyle hates it (not performing more than a HD5850).
I trust SKY more than Kyle. Anyway, I game at 1680 x 1050. Can the GTX470 last me a good 2 years?
If so I pre-order an EVGA. If HD5870 is the better buy, tell me!!!

chrisk

Folding Captain
Not sure what to think of this:
AnandTech: NVIDIA?s GeForce GTX 480 and GTX 470: 6 Months Late, Was It Worth the Wait?

Anandtech says that the 480 will deliver 3.5X the performance of a 285...thats 25-30K easy, a small difference from the ~15K Legit Reviews. They use this graph to determine the 3.5x number:

22218.png

Never saw 'nodes per day' before, but food for thought for the folders. To be clear, I seriously doubt 3.5x performance.....

belgolas

That would be pretty epic but I don't think it would be 3.5 times faster. 2x seems more like it.

I wonder if NCIX will ship cards when they get them and not wait till 2 weeks from now.

fruity

thanks for the wonderful review. have yet to read through everything though. Also good to see that many people in various forums consider HWC to to trustworthy source. contemplating on the purchase of 470 from evga... to spend or not that is the question.... heck i fold not game x)

Last edited:

matsta31

I would say better than I tought but late for the boost it gives vs ATI. Anyway, Nvidia fans will be happy and this is all good for competition.

ipaine

Well first thing I would like to say thanks to HWC and Sky for another great review (well two of them).:thumb:

One thing that I look at myself and frankly find most important is the minimum fps. That is why I am (if I can convince my wife) getting a 470. I really can't afford the 480 and I think considering I game at 1680x1050 the 470 should be the way to go. Plus you have to remember that Ati has had time to get more mature drivers out there, where the Nvidia ones certainly aren't.

Plus with the 470 I should be able to get away with not having to get a new PSU, I hope. HX620 going to be enough? I do have 6 drives but I just looked and on idle my ups reports that it is sending 187-195 watts, and that includes my monitor as well. So by thoughts I should still be in the clear if I moved the 8800GT out and brought the 470 in. Do you agree Sky?

As for what any other site says and how they test, I trust and prefer the method of testing done here. Congrats again to Sky for doing another excellent review(s):thumb:

Edit: Sky just wondering but I didn't notice it in the review, what was the fan speed set at during the power tests?

cegras

They're up for preorder from NCIX for ~540 (GTX480), vs the 5870, about $100 cheaper. How's the value proposition?

Latest posts