What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bigadv Core A5 Coming Soon Including Linux; Client Upgrade Req'd [6.34 Binaries Up ]

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I'd start with Ubuntu 64bit 1st, much easier to install than Server. And the penalty of using the GUI should be minimal.

Keywork

Is it just me or do I not see the 6.34 Binary, but rather just the full installs...

DISREGARD! I downloaded the 6.34 version and replaced the older one.

Also, I was 1% into a 6900 so hopefully i'll get one of those fancy new WU's after this one!

If the linux PPD is actually significantly higher like indicated above, a debian VM will be installed shortly!

Last edited:

Charloz24

I've got a P6901 right now on the Linux client. Only 6 frames in, but so far seeing a 50%+ PPD increase over Windows bigadv on the same box, from 35k to 55k.

OMG I need more info on this one! Rig specs please? (i7 @ 4.2 ghz ??)

And is it running Linux via VMware?

Dead Things

Okay - I just finished building a VMware appliance for my i7 860 at 3.7. It's working on a Linux P6901'er right now. I'll let it run overnight and see how it's doing in the morning.

sswilson

Staff member
Is there a reason why you wanted to go Vmware as opposed to native linux? I know at one time it was all the rage because of the windows performance hit, but I thought that was old news.

Charloz24

Is there a reason why you wanted to go Vmware as opposed to native linux? I know at one time it was all the rage because of the windows performance hit, but I thought that was old news.

I will talk for my case, if it has better performance in Linux, I will opt with Vmware because I will be able to use it normally. I tried Linux many times, but still need windows.

Dead Things

I will have it running on bare metal where I can. The 860 is my gaming rig, though. And just as I suspected... TPF with vmware on a 6901 is about 33 minutes, down from 44 min on 6900 using the Windows client - about a 50% improvement in PPD.

stoanee

Folding Team
I will have it running on bare metal where I can. The 860 is my gaming rig, though. And just as I suspected... TPF with vmware on a 6901 is about 33 minutes, down from 44 min on 6900 using the Windows client - about a 50% improvement in PPD.

The stampede back to linux begins.........

Now we need instructions again.....

Latest posts