What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The weirdest shoes I've ever seen

Socrates_Johnston

running shoes have most of the padding in the heels, so when running you will tend to strike the ground with your heel, this puts more stress on your ankles and knees especially.

contrast this with how you would probably run if you were barefoot: on your toes. The toes absorb a lot of the impact that instead gets transferred to your other joints when running with trainers.

barefoot running results in a more "natural" step which is more in-tuned with how your body is put together.

Reyzac

I want a pair of the Komodo Sports, AFAIK the same price @ MEC. I have tried the Flow model and they are actually very cool. :haha:

Soultribunal

Staff member
Probably the closest thing to running barefoot there is, which was proven a while ago to be the key to endurance running.

I'd try them,

ST

bonanza2000

If you are a serious runner, changing your shoes will seriously change your running posture and style and could result in injury. If you are just playing with them, experiment away. The vast majority of people who have grown up with traditional running shoes will not be able to adjust to the gait change without an extensive adjustment period without injury as there will be significantly higher plantar forces without shoes.

Biomechanical and physiological comparison of barefoot and two shod conditions in experienced barefoot runners.

Squadrone R, Gallozzi C.
Institute of Sport Medicine and Sport Science, Italian Olympic National Committee, Rome, Italy.
Abstract

AIM: The first aim of this study was to assess how changes in the mechanical characteristics of the foot/shoe-ground interface affect spatio-temporal variables, ground pressure distribution, sagittal plane kinematics, and running economy in 8 experienced barefoot runners. The second aim was to assess if a special lightweight shoe (Vibram Fivefingers) was effective in mimic the experience of barefoot running.
METHODS: By using an instrumented treadmill, barefoot running, running with the Fivefingers, and running with standard running shoe were compared, analyzing a large numbers of consecutive steps. Foot/shoe-ground interface pressure distribution, lower limb kinematics, V.O(2) and heart rate data were simultaneously collected.
RESULTS: Compared to the standard shod condition when running barefoot the athletes landed in more plantarflexion at the ankle. This caused reduced impact forces and changes in stride kinematics. In particular, significantly shorter stride length and contact times and higher stride frequency were observed (P<0.05). Compared to standard shod condition, V.O(2) and peak impact forces were significantly lower with Fivefingers (P<0.05) and much closer to barefoot running. Lower limb kinematics with Fivefingers was similar to barefoot running with a foot position which was significantly more plantarflexed than in control shoe (P<0.05).
CONCLUSIONS: The data of this study support the assumption that changes in the foot-ground interface led to changes in running pattern in a group of experienced barefoot runners. The Fivefingers model seems to be effective in imitating the barefoot conditions while providing a small amount of protection.

PMID: 19188889 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Deeival

Pansy artsy shoes!

I will stick to my steel toed stuff kthnx.

For work? Yes, but once I get home I'm bare foot as much as I can. I want a pair of these, gonna have to try em when I go to Van next time.

Empty_Quarter

Friend of mine has this, he says he likes it and fixed postural issues, but it looks very very weird. I can see it being worn in the gym or for anything proactive, but casually, its quite the fail.

Latest posts