What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Great gaming PC for under $1000, how are these parts?

tfran

Mushkin is pushed here because MushkinGreg goes above and beyond with support on the NCIX forums.

Also, what resolution will you be playing at? If it's not that high I would suggest a 4850 over a 4870. The framerate differences at 1680x1050 and lower aren't worth the extra $100. Plus if you're getting a P45 motherboard you can always get a 2nd 4850 in awhile if you find 1 not fast enough.

miggs78

I would go with P5Q-E or Biostar I45 for overclocking ability. Otherwise looks good.

I 2nd that too. I was going to suggest the P5Q Pro or the P5Q-E, but since your not looking at overclocking, the bare minimum P5Q should work.

For the Case I would also suggest a CM 590 or 690.

Hard drive, I would say get the 640gb instead, for just about $10 more your getting 140gb more worth of space.

Memory: Mushkins all the way, Mushkin EM PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-18 240PIN DIMM Dual Channel Memory Kit - DirectCanada

Other than that you list looks pretty, you did your research well. One thing I would suggest to you, buy from ncix.com, 2 advantages, service is just outstanding, second you can pricematch and still save yourself a few bucks more.

Asus P5Q - $121.90
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Corsair TX650W - $79.99[/FONT]
Mushkin EM2-6400 2 x 2GB - $69.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 640GB - $79.88
Intel E8400 - $169.99
Diamond HD4870 - $268.32
Cooler Master 690 - $72.60

$862.97..

Now as you can see your already saving, since the price is with the case added up, your price was without it. NCIX is a great place to shop, you should also check out our HWC Sale for the members, you could also find a good deal there too http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...are-canucks-forum-sale-aug-25th-sept-8th.html we have these every few weeks, next one probably starts 2 weeks from now or 3 weeks, you know prices on the internet change every hour or so, if you wait you might not get some of those good prices on some parts, but you could get one hell of a deal on something that could even save you more.

Good Luck on your build.

robev

Mushkin is pushed here because MushkinGreg goes above and beyond with support on the NCIX forums.

Also, what resolution will you be playing at? If it's not that high I would suggest a 4850 over a 4870. The framerate differences at 1680x1050 and lower aren't worth the extra $100. Plus if you're getting a P45 motherboard you can always get a 2nd 4850 in awhile if you find 1 not fast enough.

I'd be playing at 1680x1050, i heard the 4870 has better cooling or something, though i have read at tomshardware that they prefer the 4850

I also heard the motherboard i posted doesn't have a second PCI-E slot for crossfire, or that p45 isn't good for CF or something, i dunno lol

Other than that you list looks pretty, you did your research well. One thing I would suggest to you, buy from ncix.com, 2 advantages, service is just outstanding, second you can pricematch and still save yourself a few bucks more.

Asus P5Q - $121.90
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Corsair TX650W - $79.99[/FONT]
Mushkin EM2-6400 2 x 2GB - $69.99
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 3.5IN 640GB - $79.88
Intel E8400 - $169.99
Diamond HD4870 - $268.32
Cooler Master 690 - $72.60

$862.97..

Now as you can see your already saving, since the price is with the case added up, your price was without it. NCIX is a great place to shop, you should also check out our HWC Sale for the members, you could also find a good deal there too http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...are-canucks-forum-sale-aug-25th-sept-8th.html we have these every few weeks, next one probably starts 2 weeks from now or 3 weeks, you know prices on the internet change every hour or so, if you wait you might not get some of those good prices on some parts, but you could get one hell of a deal on something that could even save you more.

Good Luck on your build.

I tried the NCIX pricematch before and it wouldn't let me pricematch every part, lemme try again with what you posted, thanks!

edit: okay ncix is selling the PSU for $99.99, not $79.99 :(
k once again it wont let me pricematch every item, it wont let me do it on the Mobo and the Video card:

i'm a little freaked out about the BUY NOW OR U WONT HAVE THIS PRICE stuff lol cauz i'm going to be busy the next few days, with school starting.

also they're offering to build the computer for me for $50, is it worth it? I have no idea how to build a computer and am a little freaked out about it.

Last edited:

Dwayne

i'm a little freaked out about the BUY NOW OR U WONT HAVE THIS PRICE stuff lol cauz i'm going to be busy the next few days, with school starting.

also they're offering to build the computer for me for $50, is it worth it? I have no idea how to build a computer and am a little freaked out about it.

You don't have to buy it now, but it is common practice for companies to make you want to part with your cash if they offer an item at a real good price. :biggrin:

It is well worth the $50 if you don't have a clue how to build a computer and don't have a build buddy to watch and help you out. A friend of mine had his computer built and they did a burn in etc... he was very happy with the cable routing and general finish.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
They won't let you pricematch the Diamond HD4870 because it is out of stock.

Also, the P5Q-Pro is on their labor day sale for 139.98. Better board for $5 less. Go with it.

miggs78

^^ Agreed with Sugar. Hey robav, I forgot to mention, it is $99 but there is a $20 mail in rebate on top of that, so once you get that, eventually you will be sitting at $79.99

Dwayne

just curious... what about cpu and heatsink? or other that you cant see...

I'll ask, but I think he just had a stock HSF installed. Other than that, he was pretty happy with the way it ran and the way it looked inside. I am guessing he opened it up to look at general stuff and use the hardware setting off of "computer" properties to look at the installed hardware.

Latest posts