What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

G

Retirement really IS stressful, eh? :haha:
You have no idea, the stress of deciding if I have a nap after I eat lunch is killing me. Dont even get me going on figuring out what tropical paradise to go to next.

Yeah okay retirement is pretty sweet.:whistle:

sswilson

Staff member
Retirement really IS stressful, eh? :haha:

You have no idea, the stress of deciding if I have a nap after I eat lunch is killing me. Dont even get me going on figuring out what tropical paradise to go to next.

Yeah okay retirement is pretty sweet.:whistle:

Hey now!!! I'll have you know my new official title is househusband......

But yeah.... not having to sell my soul to somebody for a pittance, and being able to volunteer where/when I want is pretty sweet.... :)

Lpfan4ever

Like on a PCB or just a wire? Soldering is easy if you have a decent soldering iron.

I did get a decent iron a while ago, but I'm still inexperienced in general. I can do wires and simple through hole stuff without a problem. However when it comes to replacing a through hole mini-USB on the Yeti, I am out of my zone. Ended up destroying the two data pins' contact pads and now she's toast. :doh:

MacJunky

If the PCB is only one or two layers you can often follow the trace back to the nearest pad/via and run a little wire to the destination pin and bypass the damaged portion.
If the PCB is more layers it can get harder fast.

FreeKnight

I did get a decent iron a while ago, but I'm still inexperienced in general. I can do wires and simple through hole stuff without a problem. However when it comes to replacing a through hole mini-USB on the Yeti, I am out of my zone. Ended up destroying the two data pins' contact pads and now she's toast. :doh:

I got pretty decent soldering modchips into PS2s and Wiis for myself and friends. The Wii's pads especially liked to lift off. Bigest timp I can think of is having a light hand and using intermittent heating. Rather than holding I like to press, lift off, press, or use an iron where I could adjust the heat.

One of the little magnifying glass and clamp/arm kits can be pretty helpful too. Even when you don't need a magnifying glass per se, using one on small pads and contacts can make it a little easier to make sure you're just making contact and not pressing a ton or to see the second a pad has started to lift.

Everything can be soft-modded now so I haven't bothered in years though. I mostly liked modding to allow using cheats. Even though my PS3 is modded, all the games I have I bought off PSN or just ripped the discs to the HDD to speed up loading or use Artemis to reduce grinding in RPGs and such. I love those style games but don't have a lot of spare time so cutting out 'filler' of hours of grinding and getting to the story is a huge perk for me.

mGz

I just ran a speedtest and I'm not even hitting 5/5 (I'm paying for 50/10). Gotta love telus's bs sometimes. On top of that, optik tv is down and I've tried everything to get it back up.

At this point I'm thinking of just switching back to shaw. Having to be connected to the internet to watch television is absolute garbage.

Arinoth

Staff member
Like on a PCB or just a wire? Soldering is easy if you have a decent soldering iron.

This is very true, I've tried to do some soldering on a piece of garbage soldering iron and it was a nightmare, took forever. Years ago when I had to solder a bunch using a proper soldier station, was that ever a joy to use. I keep forgetting to buy a good non-10 dollar cheapo one.

zoob

RoHS solder is difficult to DIY with a cheap iron. It gets easier if you mix in some old tin/lead stuff before trying to remove anything.
Anything with a huge ground plane is a pita too since it soaks up so much heat.

Latest posts