What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD 5000 Series review embargo

JD

Staff member
I'm at checkout with one in the cart.... have you been happy with the board?
It sure does look pretty sitting here waiting for a CPU ;)

I did put my 2700X into it though to test it out, I did need a BIOS upgrade out of box to make PXE work (though likely not a big deal to most). But it seemed fine after that and installed Windows successfully.

sswilson

Staff member
I find it's easier to look up a picture of the IO area since generally the USB port or button has a "BIOS" label on it. I have a B550 Tomahawk here (full size ATX) and it does have it.

Strangely enough, one of the reviews I read on the X570 board commented on the flash button, but made it sound like it was stock for the motherboard line, but wasn't functional on this particular model.

I didn't realise that flashback had started making it into mainstream motherboards, I thought it was limited to high end boards. Looking at that list, MSI looks to be the manufacturer who appears to be leading the charge.

draemn

So the whole Bios for 5000 CPUs is a 2 pronged approach. I think it was released in August the BIOS that allows you to boot a zen 3 cpu.
"AMD AGESA BIOS numbered 1.0.8.0 or higher"
Then once you have your zen 3 chip, you need to update to a newer BIOS for full support/functionality of the new CPUs.

So I don't know when a board was manufactured is the earliest it would come with the 1.0.8.0 BIOS required... I don't know if manufactures had the bios well before release so they got shipped with it even if the manufacture date was before August.

sswilson

Staff member
How does one know that flashback is working? Is there some kind of indicator led?

Looks like the AGESA 1.0.8.1 bios was released end of August. It'll be interesting to see what bios version is on it.

sswilson

Staff member
Soooo....

Anybody have retailer inside contacts that would have an idea of whether or not we're going to get resupply of any ryzen processors over the holiday season? The cupboard is pretty bare for anything ryzen 5 2600 and up. It's even worse for folks (like me) who don't have local access to a storefront.

JD

Staff member
Soooo....

Anybody have retailer inside contacts that would have an idea of whether or not we're going to get resupply of any ryzen processors over the holiday season? The cupboard is pretty bare for anything ryzen 5 2600 and up. It's even worse for folks (like me) who don't have local access to a storefront.
What chip are you looking for? The 5600X gets weekly/daily stock drops now, so you should be able to snag one.

I doubt they are making anymore 2000/3000 chips at this point.

Entz

5800 seems to relatively easy to get as well. You could order one from CC right now . The newegg drops are 20+ minutes before they sell out etc.

AMD created their own monster with the 5900X though (and the reason why you can get a 5800X easily)

MemEx has ~400 5900X in their backorder queue based on posts on reddit. So yeah... even at a couple dozen a week yikes :( . Grant a large # of people have orders in multiple places so the true number is a bit less...

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
FWIW, memory express took all of their non-XT Zen2's down today. When I picked up my 5600x he said their supplier isnt taking orders for them, and since the fab they were produced out of is the same one as the Zen3 lineup...I cant see why they would be producing Zen2's any more.

(This is a totally different scenario than Zen1/1+ vs 2, which were manufactured at different plants)

sswilson

Staff member
5800 seems to relatively easy to get as well. You could order one from CC right now . The newegg drops are 20+ minutes before they sell out etc.

AMD created their own monster with the 5900X though (and the reason why you can get a 5800X easily)

MemEx has ~400 5900X in their backorder queue based on posts on reddit. So yeah... even at a couple dozen a week yikes :( . Grant a large # of people have orders in multiple places so the true number is a bit less...

Nope, CC is a no-go. They're not shipping most of their procs... they're listed as "order online - PU in store". Same goes for memx and mikes... their online stock is listed as 0.

I'll probably end up snagging a 5600X at some point, but I was hoping to be able to snag something closer to $300 than $500 (after taxes).

Entz

Ah missed that. Newegg drops a lot though but there isn't much warning unless you have something watching for it (Distill or streetmerchant or reddit etc). 5600X would be the same I imagine.

Latest posts