What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 6

Lysrin

@Lysrin you should have the update by now. For me, I have not seen much of an improvement in the FPS, and my reception has gotten worse. I'd say the December update has been a bit of a bust for me. I had to turn on Smart Lock to be able to get my device unlocked reliably. The main issue for me has been my right thumb..I just think that dry skin makes this sensor wonky.
Well, that's a bummer. I'm still not getting offered the update. Bought my Pixel 6 direct from Google, so not a carrier one. Weird. Ah well, it will come when it comes I guess. I am adjusting to the way the fingerprint scanner works, but it is a bit annoying; me adjusting to the tech rather than the tech performing as it should :)

Lysrin

What picture format or size are you guys using on the Pixel 6?

I'm finding with the wide crop (16:9) anything in a normal room size distance seems to look a bit warped; very sensitive to the angle you hold the camera. So if you tip a bit too far people get big heads and tiny legs for example. That's a bit of an exaggeration but hopefully that explains what I mean. If I use the full image (4:3) it seems a lot more forgiving and things in the pic look truer to what it looked liked to the eye. At distance, outside shots, large group shots, etc. the distortion effect seems much less noticeable.

You guys seeing this or am I just not very good at taking pictures? ;)

JD

Staff member
Are you just using the normal 1x lens? Wide angle would give that effect, but never seen that happen with the normal one. Granted I always stick to "full", don't see the reason to purposefully crop to 16:9 at the source, you can always do that after if you really want.

Lysrin

Are you just using the normal 1x lens? Wide angle would give that effect, but never seen that happen with the normal one. Granted I always stick to "full", don't see the reason to purposefully crop to 16:9 at the source, you can always do that after if you really want.
Pretty sure I am using just that 1x lens. But I will keep an eye on that.

JD

Staff member
Not sure where else to put it, may be somewhat of interest to others. I'm not sure either phone captured "perfectly", I'd say it's somewhere in the middle exposure wise, the Pixel 6 Pro is probably a touch too dark, and the One Plus 9 is just way over exposed. Was not a planned or intentional comparison either, just so happened my brother and I took very similar photos.

One Plus 9 (first photo) and Pixel 6 Pro (second photo):

IMG_20211226_183411.jpg

PXL_20211226_233404426.jpg

IMG_20211226_183508.jpg

PXL_20211226_233508334.jpg

IMG_20211226_183659.jpg
PXL_20211226_233652226.jpg

IMG_20211226_184713.jpg

PXL_20211226_234737934.MP.jpg

chrisk

Folding Captain
I still don't have the December update, but maybe that's a good thing? Apparently there are still issues with it.
https://www.androidpolice.com/googl...een-on-the-pixel-6-after-the-december-update/
Yeah I would say the December update is mostly a bust for sure. It never helped my fingerprint scanner and I get less cell reception now.
What picture format or size are you guys using on the Pixel 6?

I'm finding with the wide crop (16:9) anything in a normal room size distance seems to look a bit warped; very sensitive to the angle you hold the camera. So if you tip a bit too far people get big heads and tiny legs for example. That's a bit of an exaggeration but hopefully that explains what I mean. If I use the full image (4:3) it seems a lot more forgiving and things in the pic look truer to what it looked liked to the eye. At distance, outside shots, large group shots, etc. the distortion effect seems much less noticeable.

You guys seeing this or am I just not very good at taking pictures? ;)

I haven't noticed anything peculiar about the Pixel 6, but I did notice some weird distortion like you mentioned on all my Pixel phones over the years; an arm that looks too big, legs that are bigger, etc. I noticed one shot of my puppy where his legs looks too big on the P6, but because it was an effect I had seen on my earlier Pixels over the past 3-4 years it didn't get my attention too much.

sswilson

Staff member
Isn't that kind of distortion (exaggerated field of view depth) pretty much a given for any cell phone pics? Easiest way to check for it is to take a picture of your feet from head height.

sswilson

Staff member
I still don't have the December update, but maybe that's a good thing? Apparently there are still issues with it.
https://www.androidpolice.com/googl...een-on-the-pixel-6-after-the-december-update/

Yeah, looks like they stopped offering the update altogether.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Yeah, looks like they stopped offering the update altogether.

Yeah that's not a good look at all. My reception has suffered with that update (I got it pushed OTA) and looks like the fix won't come until end of January. I can roll back to November I guess but then I'll have to wipe again.

Lets hope these are just early growing pains for Google and their 'custom' hardware (its actually Exynos with tweaks...the Exynos modem was not considered great).

I have to think its just the holidays combined with covid delaying this fix.

Latest posts