What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

771 to 775 Mod

danmitch1

I actually found an ebay seller who makes the modded bios for a 1$ I sent him my mobo model see what he says.

MARSTG

Why are you doing this? Fun, or you need a second pretty powerful pc? If you bork it I'll give you a loaner pc!

danmitch1

I got a modded xeon with a 775 board i bought to test some old parts. The seller had it working so im trying to figure out why i can't besides the obvious. So its really for fun. I would just like to keep my test board in working order at the same time though!
Thanks for the offer though 👍

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
You said this board and CPU worked together before, so was the CPU shipped to you in the socket? If not I wonder why, as that is a pretty safe way to ship a CPU/Mobo combo.

If you have a magnifier, take a very close look at all the socket pins and all the CPU pads. Hopefully it all looks good. It may be the the little pin switcher sticker is not making good contact underneath as there is no slight wiping action there when the CPU is clamped. It would surprise you how fast oxide can form in low/no pressure contacts.

danmitch1

The seller met me with the board. It had a q6600 in the socket, the xeon was an extra that he kinda threw in. The pins on the board look good, and all my other cpus work on it so im guessing the pins are ok
The pads seem ok on the xeon, but maybe i should try a new sticker thing?

Hows this look, close up to the switcher thingys

What would bad oxidation look like on gold? these pads are gold right?
Close up of some of the pads

Last edited:

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
There's a good chance that the contacts under the sticker have oxidized somewhat. You may be able to peel it off and clean the contact points and reapply. A little deoxit or such, just be wary of static. Hopefully that's all it is and the chip did not get zapped somewhere along the way. One of the things about these mod stickers is that they put a little extra stress on the socket pins, so inspect that area carefully.

danmitch1

Thats true, since its creating an un even surface. I'll take a close look at the pins , is there of safe way of un compressing any un evenly compressed pins? If peel it off and clean it what sort of adhesive should be used to stick it back on?

danmitch1

Update:

Last night I cleaned the pads on the chip and also lifted the sticker and cleaned the contacts there too. I noticed one of the pads on the chip looked slightly darker than the others so I gently scratched at it with my exacto to see if it would come clean and it did (sorta). I checked the pins on the mobo and they seemed fine. I gently installed the chip AND VOILA! It booted right into windows! xeon 5450 harpertown 3ghz detected by cpu z.
Now to see what kind of oc I can get out of it!

Shadowmeph

after rereading though this post I think I am finally getting what the Mod you are talking about ( sorry been slow for the past few weeks) your talking about the running xeon chips on a 775 MB right that would be cool to try as a hobby

danmitch1

Exactly, works as advertised!
I would personally cut the chip and not the mobo though (I acquired the mobo pre cut).
Also im seeing some chips that are soldered so you dont need that flimsy sticker, might also be more stable?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter