What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Computer freezing

anabioz

Hey guys, I've loosely followed this thread and I'm glad that the OP figured out his problem. I wanted to post here because similarly, I too have been experiencing my computer freezing. I recently side-graded my CPU, ram and mobo to Ryzen 5600X from Intel 8700K. Being too lazy to do a fresh installation of Windows, I just moved my NVME SSD over to the new motherboard. I knew full well this may cause issues but I thought I'd try it anyway. Well, lo and behold, my computer has been randomly freezing and I'm on the verge of reinstalling Windows. However, before I do that, I thought I would run system file scanner and see if it would resolve my issues. Just as anabioz described, I have successfully scanned and repaired my system files. Here's hoping this is the solution to my freezing. Just wanted to post here because my issue may be related to the OP's.

EDIT: just so that people don't think I am crazy for moving to 5600x from 8700k, I will defend myself by informing you all that I am waiting on a 5900x. 5600x became available and I was tired of looking at a pile of parts...

Remove unused devices uninstalling the old drivers:

1) Open CMD as Admin
2) set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
3) devmgmt.msc
4) View -> Show hidden devices
5) Navigate through each category and delete (uninstall) 'greyed out' devices (there will be a lot)
6) Re-install AMD Chipset Drivers.

JD

Staff member
Remove unused devices uninstalling the old drivers:

1) Open CMD as Admin
2) set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
3) devmgmt.msc
4) View -> Show hidden devices
5) Navigate through each category and delete (uninstall) 'greyed out' devices (there will be a lot)
6) Re-install AMD Chipset Drivers.
The Device Cleanup Tool here: https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html is pretty handy for this too :)

Coach

I was still having freezing so I reinstalled windows. It was worth a shot though.

anabioz

I was still having freezing so I reinstalled windows. It was worth a shot though.

That's rough. A clean install will always be best.

To get the latest (legit) ISO, you can use:

Latest posts