What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Elite Dangerous?

Bartacus

I've been playing nothing but NMS too, after finishing the Mutant Year Zero expansion. NMS definitely scratches a different itch than Elite, not really much comparison there, as they're two wildly different games.

Lysrin

Very interesting and a long time coming.

You can say that again! But if they get this right, this will up their competition against Star Citizen that remains a looming threat to Elite (and yes I am a fan of both).

Of course, with the space legs will have to come interesting things to do on foot. Nothing in the video about ship interiors at this point, or station interiors, which Star Citizen already has. Also although the Elite character or avatar creation is interesting, it too isn't as developed as Star Citizen in terms of armour, weapons, equipment, etc. Plus they'll need missions, reasons to roam around on the ground, etc. I found that became an issue for me anyway for Elite's ground vehicles.

But this is certainly a positive "step" (har har) for space sims and for Elite! Great to have more to do in space sims.

UPDATE: Just received the official email from Elite about it. So it is legit.

UPDATE 2: Official page link: Actually hints and answering some of my comments: https://www.elitedangerous.com/odyssey/

I hope they knock it out of the park! (y)

Last edited:

Entz

But this is certainly a positive "step" (har har) for space sims and for Elite! Great to have more to do in space sims.
😁

Hopefully there are no nasty side effects. Like a 50 hr "Personal Narrative" grind to make a "suit"

lcdguy

Folding Team
i think 50hr is much to short for elite, because grind = gameplay. Also they need time to add the bugs so they have something to patch on day 1. :)

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Ya that fps reveal blew me away a bit. Glad I've slowly started getting back into ED recently.

If i could have a dream scenario, it would be to have something akin to a PlanetSide2 battle in ED. Let me equip a Python for bombing runs against enemy forts, grab an eagle or DBS for close ground fire support (a la A-10) and then top it all off with solid PvE and PvP combat scaling to, let's say, 32v32 for starters. If ED can give me all that then I'll be playing it a Long Long time...

Fingers crossed.

PS: fleet carriers are still trash though, and 90% of the game remains endless grinding and boring crap.

lcdguy

Folding Team
Ya that fps reveal blew me away a bit. Glad I've slowly started getting back into ED recently.

If i could have a dream scenario, it would be to have something akin to a PlanetSide2 battle in ED. Let me equip a Python for bombing runs against enemy forts, grab an eagle or DBS for close ground fire support (a la A-10) and then top it all off with solid PvE and PvP combat scaling to, let's say, 32v32 for starters. If ED can give me all that then I'll be playing it a Long Long time...

Fingers crossed.

PS: fleet carriers are still trash though, and 90% of the game remains endless grinding and boring crap.

but to fdev grind = gameplay :)

but yeah fc are going to be a hot mess.

Lysrin

What about the other ten percent? I was tempted to buy the game as it was recently on sale, but hesitated... again. lol

This is an endless debate lol

If you like the style of play that Elite provides, you'd like it. Open, sandbox, yes grind but if you like the game play then you care less about the grind. If you don't like what it offers then you won't enjoy it. I know that seems a bit of a cop out but because people don't like what Elite offers doesn't mean it is necessarily a bad game. Just not the game for them.

The grind is real... not denying that if you goal it to get the biggest ship fast, or something similar. But I still have lots of fun in Elite, playing it rather than focusing on the end (there really isn't one anyway...)

Latest posts