What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Eurocom Notebooks/Laptops worth purchasing?

biggyk

The shark 4 looks like a nice deal. Too bad it cant be ordered with 17" monitor.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Personally I think 17" on a notebook is over-rated but that's just me. I love smaller 13.3" - 15.8" high resolution screens. They simply look stunning.

biggyk

Personally I think 17" on a notebook is over-rated but that's just me. I love smaller 13.3" - 15.8" high resolution screens. They simply look stunning.

Ya, the more I use my family members laptop, 15 is not that bad. Decisions, decisions.

I had a look at some MSI and ASUS laptops with 15/17" to compare but im not a fan of the asus keyboards and not all MSI laptops have backlit keyboard which is important to me. Probably not all that upgradable either.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not a daily laptop user so factor that into what weight to give my opinion, but I'd second Skymtl's view on 17" monitors. My current laptop is a 17" HP and it's always felt clunky and oversized.

biggyk

Im a daily desktop driver myself. This laptop I want to purchase is just for when im not at home for a few days and able to still play few games.

FreeKnight

17" notebooks have their place, but they're not the be all end all. When I was working at a fly-in/out jobsite where I'd fly to location, stay there for 3 weeks, then fly home for a week it was great. I'd throw it in a (huge) backpack, hook it up at my desk at camp and it would make my nights less mindnumbingly dull. For daily use though, hauling around a 17" means a huge backpack (or one that doesn't fit much else), and they're not light. Dragging one to university or a job each day, no thanks. I'd rather use something like my Surface where I drag it around easily all day and then hook it up to a bigger monitor when I'm home or at an office. Not to mention the difference in battery life. None of the various ASUS G7XXXX I owned over the years lasted for long just on battery.

13-15" seems a good sweet spot for portability without having a screen so tiny it's painful (or being forced to only have integrated graphics).

If you're only moving the thing once in a blue moon, a 17 is still nice, but with steamboxes and portable monitors becoming more available, they're another option. If MS or Dell/ASUS actually came out with a Surface with thunderbolt and an inexpensive egpu dock/port, I think you'd have a real best of travel/performance option. Drop the heavy kit at your base of operations, and have a reasonably good performing hybrid for on the go that's not so heavy you'll bend sideways dragging it around.

biggyk

Thank you FreeKnight for your insight. The more I think about it a 15 might be the better option to go.

I had a chat with sales at Eurocom inquiring about Windows 10 and if I should hold off just because I want to be able to have a disk or at least an iso and im not sure I can make an iso with the win10 upgrade. Eurocom says they can supply me with a copy after the release date.

YoungMan

My brief experience with Eurocom notebooks: They're very different from regular notebooks. The quality in particular was questionable consider it was a $1k notebook. Windows was not activated, they install like a trial retail or consumer-oem version, you have to manually put in the windows product key when you boot it up for the first time (windows 8.1 btw). Was strange. It was also kinda thick. But I guess it appeals to people who prefer the more classical type of laptops, where they're not all super thin and compromise a bunch.
Bottom line: They're not BAD by any means, just different, although a bit inconvenient with a few of the minor quirks. Specs are impressive though. Just wasn't delivered in a neat, ready-to-go package.

biggyk

Il admit the look is not the sexiest but the specs/price is what matters. The inconvenience you experienced shouldn't be a problem for experienced users but a newbie might be frustrated.

Has anyone else seen this with eurocom?

Also, are all their laptops upgradable or do they just offer upgrades for old laptops? Kinda the reason I wanted to purchase from them.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
I haven't come across a Eurocom model can't be upgraded....

Latest posts