What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Game Sale PSA

Lysrin

I see Elder Scrolls IV on GOG and Plants vs. Zombies: Battle for Neighborville on Origin are free:

And a few more games through the amazon game app that I have never used.
Not sure if the opinion would be that Oblivion is still playable given its ripe ol'age, but I figured add it to the library anyway. I had it years ago I believe but never did get into it very deeply. I know, my loss, as some folks prefer it to Skyrim.

ipaine

Not sure if the opinion would be that Oblivion is still playable given its ripe ol'age, but I figured add it to the library anyway. I had it years ago I believe but never did get into it very deeply. I know, my loss, as some folks prefer it to Skyrim.
I'm fairly sure I played more of Oblivion than Skyrim. Although I think it is cause I fell into the hole of too many mods with Skyrim. Spent more time playing with them than actually playing the game.

FreeKnight

Oblivion is kind of a weird half-way between the complicated Morrowind and the very easy to learn Skyrim.

It's worth a play, but I wouldn't say it's aged gracefully. The character models are hideous, they didn't even look good at release. A lot of the dungeons feel like 'rinse, repeat' of other dungeons you've been to. Spell effects are borderline laughably animated and equipment repair gets boring. The speech/persuasion system is hot garbage.

But it's got some high points. The fighters guild/mages guild feel more expansive than their Skyrim equivalents. The main quest seems more in line with TES lore (if you care, I didn't). Spell creation, while visually underwhelming is absolutely broken. Want to kill every monster with 1-2 spells? Lump a bunch of 'weakness to x' followed by 'x damage' in your spell.

Combat is, well, Elder scrolls combat. Expect swishy LARP weapons that don't feel like they have lot of oomph.

It's worth a try, and the modding scene helps deal with some of the worse aspects. The Shivering Isles expansion is nearly universally loved, and does a great job with the Daedric prince Sheogorath, though I'd say Knights of the Nine is my favorite Elder scrolls plot line to date.

lowfat

Staff member
How is performance tho? Like Morrowind runs like dog poop with mods even with a ridiculous rig.

I do remember it ran really good w/ the good ol' X850XT Crossfire I had at the time. But that was likely on a 1280x1024 4:3 LCD.

FreeKnight

How is performance tho? Like Morrowind runs like dog poop with mods even with a ridiculous rig.

I do remember it ran really good w/ the good ol' X850XT Crossfire I had at the time. But that was likely on a 1280x1024 4:3 LCD.
It's been years since I did a heavily moded playthrough so I can't say if it's better than it was. It definitely chugged with graphics mods at the time, but maybe there's improvements since.

I would suspect being a Bethesda game using the gamebryo/creation engine, you're going to be limited in how good it looks before it starts to groan under the stress. The engine's never been the strongest suit in those games. Great for the versatility, not great for most other things.

FreeKnight

I already have Dead Space 2 so if anyone wants my key, let me know (my prime account expires in a couple days so hurry ;)

sswilson

Staff member

D2R is currently on sale for $35.50

They've really done a great job on this remaster. They haven't mucked about too much with the game, but it now looks, sounds, and plays like something we'd expect in 2022.

Latest posts