What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

help with leaky tfc 45 rotary compression fitting!

antiacid

Hi, I've been building a new computer (which explains my silence in the last week or so) and today I finally received my TFC 45 degree rotary compression fittings from Dazmode and I installed them in my loops. To make this simple:

reservoir - pump - mcr320 - apogee xt (2x rotary 45) - mcr320 - ek-ud7 board block - reservoir

and

reservoir - pump - mcr320x2 - ek 5970 - reservoir

On my apogee xt, i had a leaky rotary. I'm not talking about the screw-in part, but about the actual rotary part. If I put a bit of water in tubes + 2x fittings + apogee xt and blow in one end, water comes out of the side of the fitting. This is fun, especially since I had the time to install win7, close the computer and come back an hour later to see that I now had my own version of an aquarium inside my case. Please note that my initial leak test was fine, no paper was soaked in the first 30min that I checked for it. Not a drop. Once the machine was closed, the flood began. Awesome, isn't it?

At the same time, the rotary I had used on the ek5970 block decided to give me trouble too and the tube literally pulled out of the fitting. I've never seen this happen with BP fittings which I've used extensively in the past.

Long story short, I just got done emptying 2 liters of demineralized water from my case/soaked board and drying this with paper and air dryer. I'll let it dry overnight (the computer wasn't starting but the lights were still on, hopefully I didn't fry the expensive brand new motherboad+cpu+ram).

After a quick search on the internet, I've found no information that anyone ever had a leaky 45degree fitting. Can anyone help me out here? Did I get the only freakin' leaky fitting since the dawn of times? Should I try to get it RMA'ed or just go for a different brand? (maybe bp rotary extension + compression?). The reason I needed those in the first place was to use the apogee xt with the normal configuration (alt is reduced flow) and on the 5970, the backplate is in the way so I can't use a straight fitting without getting the dremel out.

Jackquelegs

You're having a lot of bad luck with 45 degree rotaries man...

I've had some troubles with some 90 degree rotaries from BP actually. THe O-ring in the rotary part literally ripped, and I ended up with water dripping gradually until it caused a fizzing sound in my cathode inverters.

You should definitely try to contact Daz for this. TFC makes pretty good quality stuff, perhaps this is an isolated case.

A picture of the setup would help too :thumb:

antiacid

I'll try to get some pictures up later tonight. For now I'm just too fed up with this mess (been at it for a solid 4-5 hours today and I'm missing so much skin on my fingers lol)... Time to go drink and leak all around town!

Jackquelegs

Good idea. Heck my fingers shed everytime I redo my loop. Take a breather, the last thing you want when dealing with electronics and water, is putting frustration into the mix

Dazmode

Rotaries are sensitive to horizontal (sideways) pulling. If you pull any rotary sideways hard, it starts leaking. I have never heard or experienced that tube goes off compression, unless you twist tube and the whole assembly get unscrewed.

Sounds as you leak tested for 30 minutes, but I don't blame you. I have no patience either. I only leak tested and bled properly my very first build

AmuseMe

I know that when I get fittings from sidewinders (snake rotaries etc.) and they leak (actully only happened once) they got replaced right away. Im sure Daz will fix you up :thumb:

antiacid

So i got around to pulling the rotary fitting apart and getting a replacement o-ring from the store. The replacement was noticeably darker and less squished. However, in the process of putting the fitting back together, I ended up breaking off a part of the fitting. This was a last ditch effort, I already have a RMA fitting on the way and was told I could throw this one away anyway.

So for anyone interested in doing quick and dirty fixing of their leaking rotaries, make sure you have some way of putting even pressure around both parts so that you can sandwich them properly. I'm thinking a plate with a slot in it + a press should do the trick... I just didn't think of the plate quickly enough :p

antiacid

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Turns out my board/cpu combo didn't burn to hell ;)

Thanks again to Daz for such a quick RMA on the fitting, now it's time to play with the shiny new toys :)

215x21 prime95 stable at 1.34, what's next?

Latest posts