What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Work in progress Home File Server - Modding Rack mount Server Chassis

CoolHandL

SO in the Next Few weeks I will be building a Home File Server Using the following:

Parts I have and Or were Given:

ABMX 1U Rack mount Server Chassis

Intel P4 Prescott 3.0ghz

1GB Ram 2 x 512mb PC 3200 DDR400

Coolermaster HYPER 212

4x D 640GB Black HDD (Raid 5)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Coolermaster STB-3T4-E3 3X5.25IN to 4X3.5IN Drive Bay Converter[/FONT]

1x Kingston 64GB SSD (OS, Server 2003?)

PSU (server PSU, or Dell 350W ATX PSU)

PCI Riser Card

Need:

Raid Card (something similar to the Promise TX 4310) Im looking for donations and or a low cost Raid card.

My goal is to modify the top cover to accommodate the Hyper 212+, kinda like a hot rods engine / blower poking through.

Since the case only holds 2 HDD's , I bought the Coolermaster Hard drive converter, it holds 4 HDD's, and i can modify the top of the server chassis so this peeks through the top as well or simply attaches to the top of the cover. ( i should mention i will not be rack mounting this)

DSCI0275.jpg

DSCI0274.jpg

Updated Photos, I removed the Stock Heat Sink And fitted the Hyper 212+ so i can measure the cover for the cuts needed, also removed the Jet Engine Front intake fan. Marked the Cover for where i need to make cuts (Hole allowing for the cover to be slid on and off)

DSCI0276.jpg

DSCI0277.jpg

DSCI0278.jpg

DSCI0279.jpg

DSCI0280.jpg

DSCI0281.jpg

Last edited:

lcdguy

Folding Team
for raid cards i would look for either a used perc5i or 6i if you want to do raid 5 or look at a used ibm br10i for raid 0, 1 and 1e. both are usually in the 120-150 price range in the used market.

CoolHandL

Anyone have experience with this Raid Card? the egg has it for $79.99, High point Rocket Raid 2640x4 PCI Express Four Port Sata and SAS Raid Controller Card?
LCD guy I can only find the cards you suggested in retail like 500+ Bucks, could not find used anywhere, i suppose i could wait but anyone have comments about the rocket raid card?
thanks!!

CoolHandL

LCD guy i should also mention I'll be using a PCI slot, Since thats the free riser i have.

Good site(scsi4me) lots of stuff, thanks again. fleabay has gone to shits, not easy finding a deal anymore. people are too greedy these days.

lcdguy

Folding Team
if your using pci then your choice of hardware raid controllers is going to be quite limiting as a 32bit pci bus just doesn't have the throughput for that kind of solution. If it were me i would be considering loading either freenas or openfiler and using linux software raid or windows home server and using drive extender. i have used all three and IMHO they rate as following.

Openfiler
WHS
Freenas

CoolHandL

so use the cheaper sata controller (promise TX4 etc...) and use software raid? wont that tax the CPU, its only a single core P4 Prescott 3.0ghz?
sorry for all the questions in my own thread i'm a total noob when it comes to Raid and servers. thanks for your assistance.

Latest posts