What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

how does heat affect cable?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
in this case, CAT6 or coax.

essentially I'm wondering if I should run my cabling up the wall corner, across the ceiling corner and back down the other wall corner to bypass any effect the heat / high temps from the electric register could cause, besides melting the coating / cover (hee hee).

anyone know?

sswilson

Staff member
It's not just melting you need to worry about... even if it doesn't actually melt the cover it'll probably make the coating brittle which can then break down easily potentially causing a short and/or allowing higher crosstalk between wires.

JD

Staff member
Outdoor cable might survive a bit better, but yeah, I wouldn't run any cables near electric heaters. If you really have to, maybe put it in some conduit too.

gingerbee

I have 2x cat6 cable and 1x cat7 cable running right by my furnace and have never had a single problem, there are a few feet away from it but still always around 30c plus all the time

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I have 2x cat6 cable and 1x cat7 cable running right by my furnace and have never had a single problem, there are a few feet away from it but still always around 30c plus all the time
yeh, not the same thing...a furnace tries to contain and force the heating through ducting while I have electric base heaters. the area around them gets so hot it's uncomfortable.

moocow

Didn't know temps impacts attenuation. Per this article, Cat5e get 0.4% attenuation for ever degree C above 20 C. So placing it around a furnace or house air vents can cause problems. The jacket may survive 30 to 60 C (need to double check what's printed on the outside) but it may impact performance.

KaptCrunch

Higher the temp less electrons flow through wire, the electric heater will have interference use STP cable

gingerbee

yeh, not the same thing...a furnace tries to contain and force the heating through ducting while I have electric base heaters. the area around them gets so hot it's uncomfortable.
In fact, I live in an old warehouse and the furnace blows out right in front of itself its called a micro furnace I think it only has one duct going into my kitchen so the heat coming out is heating the cable up a lot and its way too hot to stand in front of this whole unit is in my living room.
The only way to heat warehouses that had the boilers removed is with electric/gas apt/furnaces this just much bigger, hits 40/45c in front
cables been there for years 965920.jpg

Latest posts