What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Leaks from Igor's Lab Navi21 XT power

gingerbee

for the first time I am worried about power but for a different reason then what it cost I am concerned because I went with only a 650 Seasonic gold for my main rig when I grabbed the 3900x and an rtx2060 and now I am worried it might not be enough to handle the upgrade to 3000 series or big Navi only time will tell

sswilson

Staff member
for the first time I am worried about power but for a different reason then what it cost I am concerned because I went with only a 650 Seasonic gold for my main rig when I grabbed the 3900x and an rtx2060 and now I am worried it might not be enough to handle the upgrade to 3000 series or big Navi only time will tell

Heh.... I thought it was a bit overkill when I grabbed a NIB RMA 850W Corsair for my dedicated pinball/mame build. Now I'm starting to think that was a good thing.

Izerous

Folding Team
speaking of which, I need to look into getting 2 cords of wood. that's all my insurance allows me to burn before the wood stove becomes primary heat source, even if we have a gas furnace, :p
I know it is offtopic but does that mean you can only have 2 cords on hand at any time? Otherwise how are they going to measure how much wood you burn?

More on topic I have been looking at moving to s physcially smaller and lower output PSU just because 650W peaks with 1200W PSU kinda seems silly and a smaller PSU in the top slot of the 011D would allow for some extra flecibility for what i have in mind. But 300ish W i still find laughable after dealling with two 450W+ cards in a single build.

sswilson

Staff member
I know it is offtopic but does that mean you can only have 2 cords on hand at any time? Otherwise how are they going to measure how much wood you burn?

More on topic I have been looking at moving to s physcially smaller and lower output PSU just because 650W peaks with 1200W PSU kinda seems silly and a smaller PSU in the top slot of the 011D would allow for some extra flecibility for what i have in mind. But 300ish W i still find laughable after dealling with two 450W+ cards in a single build.

If it comes down to having to pay out the cost of rebuilding a house they'd be more than willing to have an investigator check with your neighbours to see if you're burning every day/night, and checking with firewood sellers.

They're sneaking about it too.... let's say there's a car accident involving a young driver who's only listed as casual... in that case they'd go around to the neighbours suggesting that they thought the accident was due to an inexperienced driver in the hopes that the neighbours (thinking that they're helping) would say something like "Well no sir... he's not inexperienced, he drives his dad to and from work every day" .

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Lying to insurers is never a good idea. The benefits arnt worth it in the end.

Sure, they may not find out, but if they do and they cancel you (or worse), good luck getting insurance ever again. And even if you do, it'll be much much much higher of a rate.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

I honestly don't know...first time I've had a wood stove. all I know is that the insurer knows we have a gas furnace but that it's controlled by the tenants upstairs and hey don't use it much. we have electrical heat, but honestly, those wall warts are almost useless. anyhow, they said that we can only burn up to 2 cords a winter. that said, it would be weird thing to figure out as the upstairs has their insurance, we have ours...gas furnace is listed as primary for both of us, so no idea how they would figure out what from what with gas vs. electric vs. wood.

as for having more than 2 cords, you bet I would have more! you need to let wood dry out for it to burn cleanly and that takes a couple of years, even if you're only chopping up dead fall. we always had like 3 - 5 years of wood drying for my Oma when I grew up. :)

Dwayne

If you don't read Tom's Hardware, here is a little ditty to remind AMD fans that we have been here before.

"Here's the thing: We've been here before. Let me recap the most recent three high-end GPU launches from AMD.

AMD's Fiji architecture back in 2015 was going to crush Nvidia. It was the first GPU to use high-bandwidth memory (HBM), packing a whopping 512 GBps of bandwidth and 8.6 TFLOPS of theoretical compute performance. At the time, it was going up against Nvidia's GTX 980, which was only a 5 TFLOPS card with 224 GBps of bandwidth. The rumor mill said AMD was even going to beat Nvidia's then-fastest Titan X! Except, just before the R9 Fury X launched, Nvidia released the GeForce GTX 980 Ti.

The Fury X had moments of greatness, but overall didn't quite match Nvidia's similarly-priced card. There were select cases where it could even beat the Titan X, but mostly it was slower than the 980 Ti. Today, five years later and running more recent games, the Fury X is still about 3-5% slower than the 980 Ti while using 30W more power.

A similar story unfolded two years later, except it was even worse in many ways. RX Vega 64 was again going to take down Nvidia's top GPU, the GTX 1080 Ti, or so the rumors suggested. 12.7 TFLOPS and 8GB of HBM2 with 484 GBps of bandwidth, versus 11.3 TFLOPS and 11GB of GDDR5 with 484 GBps. That seemed a stretch, but AMD talked up its high-bandwidth cache controller and architectural enhancements, and there was at least some hope.

This time, there wasn't even a last-minute update from Nvidia to spoil the launch party … and the competition wasn't even close. Not a single game favored the RX Vega 64, and even the year-old GTX 1080 managed to claim quite a few wins. AMD's best was only able to match Nvidia's second best. Today, RX Vega 64 is about 5% faster than the GTX 1080 FE across our gaming test suite, but it's nowhere near the 1080 Ti."

Jokester

eh no point reading silly clickbait from toms. just wait and see what the actual hardware does shortly.

Latest posts