What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Let's go Team !!

Nightingale

I have no Idea what you guys are talking about, should I be concerned. I am new to folding and run a GTX 470 and have not noticed any problems. What is this about 450's being able to pump out the same PPDS as my 470? How is this possible.

sswilson

Staff member
Are you using the -advmethods switch for your GPU3 client?

For "normal" GPU3 work units, PPD seems to be around 9K+ PPD for the GTS450, and 12 - 13K+ PPD on a 460. When the -advmethods switch is used, the WUs seem to be much more concerned with the CPU clockspeed and the 450 starts putting out numbers similar to a 460.

Nightingale

Oh DEAR, to be honest I have no Idea what you are talkign about. I use the Folding@home 6.30r2 client for my GTX470 as well as the HFM.net to monitor my status. I get 15,225 PPD's

Hmmm I get the impression you guys might be referring to an issue when using both CPU and GPU, if that is the case then I ought to mention I have never used my CPU for folding as I was under the impression that the gpu is more efficient than my weak 4.0ghz PII X4.

Edit: SO -advmethods is a flag you added to the client that distributes more efficient work units hence the higher points. I was reading at OCN that they stopped distributing -advmethods for the 4xx

So far all I have ever gotten is Project 10632 which I am told is crappy for points.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Here's a bizarre one for you folks..... my GTS450 only runs @ 29% usage unless I've got realtemp open, at which time it bumps up to the proper 99%. This is repeatable as each time I close realtemp down it drops back down to 29%..........

I'm using MSI Afterburner and the latest Beta drivers.....

Any ideas? I'm probably going to start by installing the drivers off of the manufacturer's disk and then upgrade back to the most recent beta from that.... Maybe there's some kind of registry entry that the initial disk will set.

Edit: SO -advmethods is a flag you added to the client that distributes more efficient work units hence the higher points. I was reading at OCN that they stopped distributing -advmethods for the 4xx

So far all I have ever gotten is Project 10632 which I am told is crappy for points.

More -advmethods WUs were released yesterday.

sswilson

Staff member
AFAIK the betas were written specifically for the 450s. The betas are what shows up when you go through the normal "download a driver" process for the GTS450.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Interesting...the card behaves differently when observed? Maybe Stanford sent you some WUs working on the Uncertainty Principle, where unobserved particles behave differently than observed ones??? ;p

Yeah...prolly drivers? Do a clean re-install?

ilya

Does the GTS450 work with the latest WQHL's? I have had a lot of problems w/ the newer beta drivers.

The CD drivers that come with the 450's are 259.XX WHQL's IIRC.

Interesting...the card behaves differently when observed? Maybe Stanford sent you some WUs working on the Uncertainty Principle, where unobserved particles behave differently than observed ones??? ;p

Yeah...prolly drivers? Do a clean re-install?

My temp sensors go haywire when I have Realtemp observing GPU temps, random 400c spikes. They didn't happen before the beta drivers so I'd assume it's the drivers.

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, I haven't re-installed the drivers, and I'm unclear now if I had just used the drivers that came with the disk, or if I had used the beta ones from the nvidia website when it was installed on my main rig. (Unfortunately I've taken to installing from the web rather than downloading / installing so I don't have a record of what drivers were installed. I'm rethinking that policy now.... ;) ).

I'll probably uninstall the beta drivers and then use what came on the disk.

Update:

Used the drivers on the disk (259.15) with the same results.... the only thing I haven't tried so far is to install the ASUS utility software.... maybe there's a registry hook that comes along with smart doctor or something like that.

Last edited:

Latest posts