What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

My Massive Tower is DEAD:(

Soullessone21

Okay so I have a testing system from Asus
Check system specs but its a
8150 fx
Crosshair V Formula
6970 CUII
Thermaltake 850 watt PSU
Thermaltake Bigwater 760 plus
Lots of tubing for the water cooler and a Nice EK RAD and RES

Okay heres what happened.
I turned the computer off the other night(probably the 2nd time in 3 months haha)
And my wife went to turn it on yesterday and a super high pitched noise was coming from the computer so she turned it off.
When I got home I could hit power it would grind and make loud noises then after 5-12 seconds it would turn off.
Bios resets and many other things and its still doing the same thing.
I am thinking PSU only because for some reason my keyboard and mouse and backup HDD's are all lit up even though the system is off and they have never done this before.

Now for the Question. is it safe to unplug your Pump on your watercooler and turn on the system to see if its the pump that is causing the issues?

sswilson

Staff member
Okay so I have a testing system from Asus
Check system specs but its a
8150 fx
Crosshair V Formula
6970 CUII
Thermaltake 850 watt PSU
Thermaltake Bigwater 760 plus
Lots of tubing for the water cooler and a Nice EK RAD and RES

Okay heres what happened.
I turned the computer off the other night(probably the 2nd time in 3 months haha)
And my wife went to turn it on yesterday and a super high pitched noise was coming from the computer so she turned it off.
When I got home I could hit power it would grind and make loud noises then after 5-12 seconds it would turn off.
I am thinking PSU only because for some reason my keyboard and mouse and backup HDD's are all lit up even though the system is off and they have never done this before.

Now for the Question. is it safe to unplug your Pump on your watercooler and turn on the system to see if its the pump that is causing the issues?

I'd say no... you should be looking at it from the other direction... unplug everything from the other hardware (motherboard X2 / vid card(s) / HDD,ODD,SDD / etc.....) short the Green wire from the PSUs 20/24 pin motherboard connection with the black one beside it, and then plug in your pump to see what kind of noise it's making.....

chrisk

Folding Captain
I agree with the PSU issue. If your keyboard and such is one when system is off already, then maybe its in some kind of sleep mode (unless your mobo is one of the ones that sends power to USB ports for charging devices, etc)

I don't know if you should run your rig without the pump. I know you might just run it for a min, but I would try running the pump on another psu, or some other molex power source (ie. an external HDD enclosure). If its just the cpu thats cooled maybe someone else can pipe in as to the safety, but if you gave a gpu cooled by water as well then I would really look for a power source for the pump.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
DON'T attempt to run without a pump. You run a chance of frying the GPU's and CPU. Do as Steve suggested, and unplug everything but the pump and jumpstart the PSU. If it works fine, then start adding components back in.

JD

Staff member
DON'T attempt to run without a pump. You run a chance of frying the GPU's and CPU. Do as Steve suggested, and unplug everything but the pump and jumpstart the PSU. If it works fine, then start adding components back in.
Technically speaking, the system should shut down before it happens.

And well to install the Indigo Xtreme TIM, you have to unplug the pump and run Prime95 until it hits 95C (i7 920)...boy was that a tense couple minutes :shok:

gingerbee

with a grinding sounds i would unhook everything and try to just run the pump like others have stated cause you will know what it going on if pump doesn't work your pc is shutting off from thermal trip ( and your pump is dead i hater thermaltake stuff had moany pumps die years ago when i first got into water cooling and didnt know any better lol )

Soullessone21

The reason I use the Thermaltake is I get them all Free from my Beta Hardware group.

I have 2 kids and excessive debt I cannot afford new hardware for myself :(

KaptCrunch

You could run without the pump going for a couple of minutes but not much more.

operate only if leave water blocks in place max 1min for testing only, allow to cool if try again

Soullessone21 said:

look for leaks for odd kb lited

the noise is pump or psu,chipset,rad fan bearings are gone find the issue an replace

Soullessone21

Thanks for the help guys:) its the Thermaltake Pump its locked right up used my tech bench PSU on the pump and my normal 850 PSU for my system and within 20 seconds the water stops flowing and the pump gets super loud but the system loads all the way up.

Now time to get a new pump an expense I really dont want to deal with haha

Latest posts