What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rants etc.....

Izerous

Folding Team
is it thew responsibility for the company or the home owner to fix the line that goes to the pole I am curious of this
Company property, company responsibility. Telus installing all the fibre lines in edmonton destroyed a pile of shaw connections. They get to battle out the cost between them.

clshades

Well not only did Telus jack up my bill they also removed the unlimited data on my connection when my contract ended. Just got an e-mail that i'm over quota.

Shaw showed up yesterday to do the hookup. They removed the "temporary" arial line like a year ago I had assumed that meant they put in a new ground line... nope turns out they never fixed the line so i can't even complete the switch over to Shaw until a picked truck shows up in the next couple days to run a new arial line again because they won't attempt to repair the inground line in the winter. It has been nearly 3 years since that line was damaged you would think they would have fixed it by now.

You don't want copper in the ground anyway man. It never lasts. If they can get it out of the ground, that's better. Either that or a fiber run in ground.

Telus had to replace all the copper feeds to places all over big white because the ground water basically destroyed them.

gingerbee

It has been nearly 3 years since that line was damaged you would think they would have fixed it by now.
LOL I was told by teksavvy/rogers about 6-7 years ago that the TAP's running into my old apt building were damaged, It took them almost 4-5 years to run a line in the air over a parking lot (150') to the building. When we were moving out they were there messing with the line so I asked them if it was time to fix it for good, the rogers guy laughed at me and said "what you mean in the ground" I said ya again he laughed at me and said "they will never dig up that line we are in fact running a stronger line with shielding over the air and were going to hang it off the temp line that was put in" umm ok, don't really care cause I was moving out and my new house has Bell fiber and its underground plus I can see the main box it comes from about 50' from my front door.

It's the little things that make me happy like having internet and only needing one ISP cause it never goes out unlike what I used to have to do just to make sure I had working internet.

Izerous

Folding Team
It will be going overtop my neighbour's driveway so it isn't effecting only me. Every single line in this neighborhood is underground. No visible power lines etc

crazyea

Well not only did Telus jack up my bill they also removed the unlimited data on my connection when my contract ended. Just got an e-mail that i'm over quota.

Shaw showed up yesterday to do the hookup. They removed the "temporary" arial line like a year ago I had assumed that meant they put in a new ground line... nope turns out they never fixed the line so i can't even complete the switch over to Shaw until a picked truck shows up in the next couple days to run a new arial line again because they won't attempt to repair the inground line in the winter. It has been nearly 3 years since that line was damaged you would think they would have fixed it by now.
Why didn't you just negotiate a better price? Usually pretty easy with Telus in my experience.

Izerous

Folding Team
Why didn't you just negotiate a better price? Usually pretty easy with Telus in my experience.
Telus messed around with the last bill removing all the promotional pricing without a heads up and Shaws offer to go back was way better then telus.

great_big_abyss

It's the little things that make me happy like having internet and only needing one ISP cause it never goes out unlike what I used to have to do just to make sure I had working internet.

My God, having reliable internet is a godsend that you never think about when it works, but is intensely frustrating when it doesn't. I've been with Shaw for years now (the only other competition in Manitoba is Bell/MTS, and their max speed to my house is 25Mbps, compared to Shaw's 1 Gbps for not much more money). Shaw's system is Fiber to the node, and then Coax to all the houses in the neighbourhood, and coax in my house, obviously. I live in a house from the 70's, so you can imagine each owner has made their mark, with coax all over the place.

Anyway, for years, my Shaw internet was unreliable. It was fine if we were only using it lightly, you know, media streaming, but as soon as I'd start torrenting, and then try to log into a game server, or watch some Netflix, our internet would drop out and we'd need to reset the router. I was getting dropped from multiplayer game servers left and right. At one point, I was resetting our router daily, sometimes twice daily. We'd had a Shaw tech out a few times, but they were unable to diagnose and fix the issue. It was incredibly frustrating, and then once COVID hit and my wife started working from home, it started to impact her work. I called Shaw and gave them one more chance to fix it. The tech showed up, but because companies had freshly implemented COVID policies (this was summer of 2020), he couldn't actually come IN the house. Nevertheless, he went to the neighbourhood box and tested the connection to our house, and didn't see anything. Then he came up with the bright idea of just replacing all the COAX cable ends in line from where the cable enters the house, to where it ends at my router. He still couldn't come into the house, so he handed me the tool and a bunch of ends, demonstrated how to do it, and then I went and actually physically changed all the cable ends.

It actually worked. We've had rock solid internet now for about a year and a half, and man is it NICE. I don't even think about it any more.

clshades

My God, having reliable internet is a godsend that you never think about when it works, but is intensely frustrating when it doesn't. I've been with Shaw for years now (the only other competition in Manitoba is Bell/MTS, and their max speed to my house is 25Mbps, compared to Shaw's 1 Gbps for not much more money). Shaw's system is Fiber to the node, and then Coax to all the houses in the neighbourhood, and coax in my house, obviously. I live in a house from the 70's, so you can imagine each owner has made their mark, with coax all over the place.

Anyway, for years, my Shaw internet was unreliable. It was fine if we were only using it lightly, you know, media streaming, but as soon as I'd start torrenting, and then try to log into a game server, or watch some Netflix, our internet would drop out and we'd need to reset the router. I was getting dropped from multiplayer game servers left and right. At one point, I was resetting our router daily, sometimes twice daily. We'd had a Shaw tech out a few times, but they were unable to diagnose and fix the issue. It was incredibly frustrating, and then once COVID hit and my wife started working from home, it started to impact her work. I called Shaw and gave them one more chance to fix it. The tech showed up, but because companies had freshly implemented COVID policies (this was summer of 2020), he couldn't actually come IN the house. Nevertheless, he went to the neighbourhood box and tested the connection to our house, and didn't see anything. Then he came up with the bright idea of just replacing all the COAX cable ends in line from where the cable enters the house, to where it ends at my router. He still couldn't come into the house, so he handed me the tool and a bunch of ends, demonstrated how to do it, and then I went and actually physically changed all the cable ends.

It actually worked. We've had rock solid internet now for about a year and a half, and man is it NICE. I don't even think about it any more.

Here's the problem with his little test from the box to the house. He HAS to overload the connection to see any problems. The stupid little light test is not any different than you using your internet lightly. My buddy had the same exact problem as you. It ended up being the coax damaged by the previous owner when he installed his deck, in the dirt, below a support. I found it nearly cut in half. Guess which stupid test didn't find anything. Yep, you guessed it.

Coax and water + years result in shitty internet. My old Telus connection on, yep you guessed it, coax, was fine for nextflix, but if my wife opened Facebook on her cellphone or I tried to play a game, it died. Just like you are describing.

I'd put money on the connection from the node to your house.

great_big_abyss

Coax and water + years result in shitty internet. My old Telus connection on, yep you guessed it, coax, was fine for nextflix, but if my wife opened Facebook on her cellphone or I tried to play a game, it died. Just like you are describing.

I'd put money on the connection from the node to your house.

It was literally the cable ends in my house. At one point, MTS had been in there and replaced all the COAX ends with their shitty ends that were built to a different spec than what SHAW needs. Replacing them with Shaw ends fixed the problem completely.

I've had reliable internet with 100% uptime for about a year and a half now.