What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

the 'let's talk about unusual stuff thread.'

Izerous

Folding Team
I'm trying to think of appropriate use cases for a flame thrower dog outside of combat and all I can come up with is controlled burns. Makes me wonder if this isn't something that some fire departments that have to deal with regular wildfires & controlled burning might actually end up utilizing.

LaughingCrow

I'm trying to think of appropriate use cases for a flame thrower dog outside of combat and all I can come up with is controlled burns. Makes me wonder if this isn't something that some fire departments that have to deal with regular wildfires & controlled burning might actually end up utilizing.
Agreed, it could have it's uses when limited to trained personnel in forestry & fire departments. But see it being used improperly and foolishly too easily.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
in the US it obviously is being marketed as a property defense system.

FreeKnight

I've worked with some of the controlled burn crews on oil and gas projects. I'm not sure this would really work. Any of the areas that aren't off a road and have a controlled burn started are typically rough and irregular terrain, either woody or fields and these robots don't do all that well on such challenging terrain. On areas attached to road I'm not sure you wouldn't be spending less by just having a crew with a pickup and some tiger torches.

In Canada it'd probably be less likely as the burn crew companies are generally indigenous owned and a kind of 'pork barrel' projects to appease local bands, and I doubt they'd let the work go to robots without a fight.
Agreed, it could have it's uses when limited to trained personnel in forestry & fire departments. But see it being used improperly and foolishly too easily.
Yep, with all the damage from burns started by stupid shit like gender reveals in the US, I could see this causing major damage from 1-2 incidents of stupid people with money to burn.

Izerous

Folding Team
I've worked with some of the controlled burn crews on oil and gas projects. I'm not sure this would really work. Any of the areas that aren't off a road and have a controlled burn started are typically rough and irregular terrain, either woody or fields and these robots don't do all that well on such challenging terrain. On areas attached to road I'm not sure you wouldn't be spending less by just having a crew with a pickup and some tiger torches.

I was less thinking planned controlled burns and thinking more the ones they execute at times with wildfires to try and burn out areas to burn out fuel before the forest fire reaches some areas. Not a perfect example of course but thats where my thoughts were going.

Kind of like last summer when people were showing up with bulldozers trying to make fire breaks as the fire is encroching on Drayton Valley and other communities nearby and having a "person" near the fire is dangerous but a robot bulldozer would have been able to go closer and not endanger anyone.

Latest posts