What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

UDM Pro

JD

Staff member
Are you running 1.8.0-rc11? I can route between VLANs fine at 10G speeds, so I don't think the UDMP uplink issue exists anymore.

Have you tried setting the interface on the Dell & US-16-XG to 1G or 10G? Perhaps it's just not negotiating the right link speed on either end.

lcdguy

Folding Team
Question, are you using a compatible SFP transceiver on dell/ubiquiti side ? Sometimes switches can get picky if it's not on the "approved" list of overpriced sfp modules. :)

Also are you using auto-detecting speed or hard coding the speed on the ports.

MRobi

Are you running 1.8.0-rc11? I can route between VLANs fine at 10G speeds, so I don't think the UDMP uplink issue exists anymore.

Have you tried setting the interface on the Dell & US-16-XG to 1G or 10G? Perhaps it's just not negotiating the right link speed on either end.
Yes I upgraded to 1.8.0-rc11 yesterday.
I've tried autonegotiation and setting the speed to 10G on both ends for both the UDM connection and the Dell connection. I've also tried plugging my media server directly into the us-16-xg as well as plugging it in through the Dell switch. Either way, as soon as the uplink to the udmp is done through sfp+ I can not longer stream from my media server without the freezing.

Question, are you using a compatible SFP transceiver on dell/ubiquiti side ? Sometimes switches can get picky if it's not on the "approved" list of overpriced sfp modules. :)

Also are you using auto-detecting speed or hard coding the speed on the ports.
The 2 connections between the UDMp and the US-16-XG are with UDC-1 cables so there should be no compatability issues there. The cable going to the Dell and the server are both from fs.com and labelled as "Intel XDACBL5M Compatible 10G SFP+ Passive Direct Attach Copper Twinax Cable ". I don't think it's a cable compatability issue though since I can plug the Dell directly into the UDMp with this cable and it functions fine, and it functions fine plugged into the US-16-XG as long as I'm using RJ45.

It's got to be something between the UDMp and the US-16-XG which leads me to believe it's got to be a setting somewhere. I currently have the port profile set to ALL on both sides. I wonder if I create a new profile and tag all vlan's except vlan35 if that would make a difference. Maybe interference between ports? Can that even happen? lol

lcdguy

Folding Team
ahh didn't realize you were using twinax, just assumed you were using fiber. I don't have a lot of experience with twinax.

Maybe try configuring an extra pair of ports for a single vlan and try to send some traffic down that link to see if it works. Then if it does, add another vlan and test, etc until it breaks. Just a thought. I am also assuming you have already looked in the device logs and they weren't useful.

MRobi

ahh didn't realize you were using twinax, just assumed you were using fiber. I don't have a lot of experience with twinax.

Maybe try configuring an extra pair of ports for a single vlan and try to send some traffic down that link to see if it works. Then if it does, add another vlan and test, etc until it breaks. Just a thought. I am also assuming you have already looked in the device logs and they weren't useful.
For the uplink to the UDMp I've tried configuring the port as "All" and a custom profile with all vlans tagged except the Bell Fibre 35.
The downlink to the Dell Switch or Media Server plugged direct I've tried configuring as LAN, All and the same custom profile. Realistically I want both of these on LAN.

On top of video streaming issues, I noticed this morning poor VNC connection when the uplink is using SFP+.

So right now I have:
us-16-xg Port 1 - Bell Fibre ONT - 2.5Gb, VLAN35 tagged
us-16-xg Port 2 - Connected to UDMp WAN2 - 10Gb, VLAN35 untagged
us-16-xg Port 16 - RJ45 - Connected to UDMp port 8 - Uplink - 1Gb, profile all vlan's tagged except Bell 35
us-16-xg Port 4 - Dell Switch - 10Gb, Network LAN
us-16-xg Port 5 - Media Server - 10Gb, Network LAN
As this sits, everything works perfect!

If I change the cat6 uplink for another UDC-1 in port 3 of the us-16-xg using the same profile as port 16, I start having the streaming issues on the media server and VNC issues on any computer connected. I can download files all day with that setup, the issue seems to only affect outgoing traffic.

And you're right, logs of the devices having the issue don't really show anything at all.

JD

Staff member
For what it's worth, I use port 10 on my ES-16-XG for the LAN connection from the UMDP, but I'm using the newer(?) UC-DAC-SFP+ which is only 0.5m.

Do you know what hardware revision your UDMP is?

MRobi

Do you know what hardware revision your UDMP is?
UDMP is Rev 8

Also what rev is your US-16-XG? Hopefully you didn't get some crazy old batch.
US-16-XG is Rev 13

I may order the UC-DAC-SFP+ and give it a try. It's only around 30 bucks. I'm starting to wonder if I may have a bad UDC-1 cable even though it's brand new. Unfortunately I don't have any extras to test it, so ordering another may be worth while.

I just changed a few things around in the rack and ran some tests and all seems to be fine this way

us-16-xg Port 1 - Bell Fibre ONT - 2.5Gb, VLAN35 tagged
us-16-xg Port 2 - Connected to UDMp WAN2 - 10Gb, VLAN35 untagged
us-16-xg Port 16 - RJ45 - Connected to UDMp port 8 - Uplink - 1Gb, profile all vlan's tagged except Bell 35
UDMPro Port 11 - Dell Switch - 10Gb, Network LAN
Media Server SFP+ Plugged into Dell switch.

Dell switch and media server are both connected at 10Gb and streaming is working fine with no freezing. So if this works, I'm thinking it's got to be that cable.

MRobi

UPDATE
I hopped on amazon on Friday night and ordered a 10Gtek cable, mainly because they could get it to me before the weekend was over. Plugged it in and did some local testing over the weekend and everything local worked fine. Tried on a few different remote networks yesterday and today and that seems to be working fine as well. So I'd say I received a bad UDC-1 cable.

Reactions: JD