What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

who here has a green thumb? what do you grow?

Soultribunal

Staff member
@lowfat - 100% this. Most people forget about this and think that 'intensity' is the thing.

One thing that I do, which people think is a bit off but I find my plants are a lot strong as a result is running my lights through a box to dim them incrementally at night and in the early am to simulate an actual 'Sunrise' - 'Sunset'.

-ST

lowfat

Staff member
This guys series does a really good job on what each wavelength does for plants. I thought it was rather informative.

One thing that I do, which people think is a bit off but I find my plants are a lot strong as a result is running my lights through a box to dim them incrementally at night and in the early am to simulate an actual 'Sunrise' - 'Sunset'.

-ST

I'm going to try to simulate something similar but I'm going to add some far red leds.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

Soultribunal

Staff member
@lowfat - I could have gone really nuts with my setup but I didn't want to spend even more of a small fortune. Let us know how it works out when you set it up. Right now I've has some wildly good yields. It's the drying of the leaves that takes forever in my basement. I could, technically use an oven but I feel like you lose too much doing it that way.

-ST

Shadowmeph

I have grown very successfully over the past years Bonsai's indoors, and shaped them to look 'windblown'. Outside time is indeed good for them, but you have to have a very good setup indoors if you want them to survive through the winter.
There are hundred's off books, and articles and good and bad advice out there.
Best people to talk to are those whom grow and sell them TBH. I've been given some seriously good Sage advice that I never would have found in a book.

On to my own? I am sorta obsessed with making my own Tea now so I have a Plethora of things growing ATM , though I have to re-jig the power in my basement one of these days to add more.
I have 2 Rain (snow now I guess? Lol) catches into 55GAL drums so I don't use or have to worry about filtering water / removing Chlorine.
As well, the water travels through a rock/stone substrate for basically natural mineralization of the water that I use (I'll have to look up the bags of rocks to see what kind, but it was on the advice of someone whom does very similar to me).

I grow 2 types of Peppermint, Lavender, Lemon grass. I intend to attempt Fennel and Chamomile next year once I get a better grasp on how to grown them indoors. Not via Hydro. Good Old Soil still here. Just keep the Mint far from the other plants as it spreads like Kudzu.

-ST
if I lived in a house I probably would do the rain drum thing . my grand parents garden was on a slope in the back yard which was perfect because they use the big drums ( years ago) that had hoses attached which was gravity fed the slop was just enough for it to work naturally .

what is needed to grow those teas? do they need allot of light.

I am not sure if I would ever grow anything hydroponically especially food it tastes like crap and the health benefits are minimal at best

Soultribunal

Staff member
@Shadowmeph - I grow in Soil , not Hydro. I use Alfalfa tilled into the soil pods to push nutrients in, as well as 3 varieties of Clover to push nitrogen naturally into the soil (and the benefit of growing the Crimson Clover is that it is REALLY good for my dogs to eat). I never do 'mono' species as then you have to worry about applications of fertilizer etc etc. I use only one kind of fertilizer, and its derived right from kelp (and let me tell you it STINKS to high heaven lol). I think I have to use a cap full, per Soil Pod, about once every month at most. Otherwise my companion plants pick up the slack.

Mint enjoys moist soil with lots of light to do well, but even that is flexible depending on the specific species you have (if I was at home I could give you the Genus to lookup). Lemongrass is much the same, and so is lavender. Although Lavender prefers drier soil , you can kill it really quickly at the roots if you water it as frequently as the Lemongrass and Mint.

-ST

Shadowmeph

ok where did you get the seeds for
@Shadowmeph - I grow in Soil , not Hydro. I use Alfalfa tilled into the soil pods to push nutrients in, as well as 3 varieties of Clover to push nitrogen naturally into the soil (and the benefit of growing the Crimson Clover is that it is REALLY good for my dogs to eat). I never do 'mono' species as then you have to worry about applications of fertilizer etc etc. I use only one kind of fertilizer, and its derived right from kelp (and let me tell you it STINKS to high heaven lol). I think I have to use a cap full, per Soil Pod, about once every month at most. Otherwise my companion plants pick up the slack.

Mint enjoys moist soil with lots of light to do well, but even that is flexible depending on the specific species you have (if I was at home I could give you the Genus to lookup). Lemongrass is much the same, and so is lavender. Although Lavender prefers drier soil , you can kill it really quickly at the roots if you water it as frequently as the Lemongrass and Mint.

-ST
where did you get the seeds for those. I am thinking of cleaning out my closet and using the grow light I bought years ago to start my tomatoes . on a side note I tried and failed several times to grow mushrooms in side that closest because it is dark but I I might as well try a different route .

Soultribunal

Staff member
Hi Shadow,

I get the seeds from West Coast Seeds . They have just about everything I could want. My other stuff is sometimes from Versey's and a couple of local places here in Ontario.
I've actually never attempted Mushrooms, though it is on my list.
Next year I am going to attempt the mini potatotes.

I got a whole whack of these (Not this brand, just linking so you know what I'm taking about) to use:

This is the fertilizer that I use (be warned it SMELLS).

-ST

Latest posts