What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

X3 720 BE + DDR2-1066

Evylldemon

I just built the budget rig in my sig and once I had everything up and running I decided to set the Memory clock to x5.33 (1066Mhz) in the BIOS because that's what the RAM is rated at and I'm pretty sure the X3 is compatible with that speed. However after doing that (tried it twice) it blue screens on startup. Am I doing something wrong?

punk_zappa

I am not familiar with your board's BIOS but I would suggest to loosen your timings before setting it to 1066, maybe start with a latency of 7 just to see if it would at least boot. If it did, adjust it to 6 and reboot. Also, download MemSet and see the timings for the speed you want by clicking on SPD. Write it down and manually set all the timings. Then you can play with your rated timings if it will indeed boot.

Silvgearx

on gigabyte boards the SPP or was it SSP? :bleh:

it always set the memory timing to 5-5-5-18 and default ram volts is 1.8v

if you set your ram to 2.1v it should be no problem.

i current have a set of redlines running at 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @1.9v (790X-ud4p)

Evylldemon

It's possible the voltage is the issue as I didn't adjust that at all and left it on auto. I already tried manually setting different timing and even left it on auto (which used 5-6-7-20 or something weird for 1066).

I'll try messing around with these things and see if anything helps.

Airshehan

It's possible the voltage is the issue as I didn't adjust that at all and left it on auto. I already tried manually setting different timing and even left it on auto (which used 5-6-7-20 or something weird for 1066).

I'll try messing around with these things and see if anything helps.
Yeah, I do suggest you bump up the voltage and we'll see how it goes! Keep us posted on your results!:thumb:

Evylldemon

I looked at the specs on NCIX and it said 2.0-2.1V

So I tried 2.0 and it blue screened, then i tried 2.1 and it loaded into Windows this time but quickly blue screened again. Reading around and trying to figure this out right now. Will post any updates.

Silvgearx

to set the voltage on that board.

Press del at bios boot.

go into MIB, under system voltage set DDR2 voltage control to +.300 On the right side it should say 2.1V

Evylldemon

to set the voltage on that board.

Press del at bios boot.

go into MIB, under system voltage set DDR2 voltage control to +.300 On the right side it should say 2.1V

yeah that's what I did. Had no luck with that.

I tried turning EPP on, save, exit, now I can't get past the motherboard startup screen....

UPDATE: shorted the jumper and cleared CMOS. Boots fine but still stuck with DDR2-800 RAM. What the hell?

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
I'd say bump up the RAM voltage a bit more. Otherwise run them at DDR2-1000 if possible since then they might be fine with 2.1V.

Latest posts