What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Budget cell phone

Prickly007

Oh, and Prickly, now that you've had it for a short while, how are ya likin' that G7?

Haven't really used it much (beyond initial setup, still haven't finished tweaking).... Seems snappy enough, probably not as fast as our older Galaxy Tab S2.

My main issue with mobiles has always been audio quality on calls, of course it's now an issue on landlines as no one speaks into their mobile properly.

Prickly007

Oh, and Prickly, now that you've had it for a short while, how are ya likin' that G7?

Still haven't used any mobile data.... But I used the phone a fair bit on moving day. No complaints, then again my frame of reference is severely limited. The movers called for directions en route (as our house was not in their GPS system), no complaints about call clarity/volume. We've been a here almost a week, and last night was I think the second time I've recharged it.

No regrets/complaints, I won't be returning it to Costco! For our limited needs it's a good match. I certainly do not see the need to spend a grand on a phone, then again I am not and never will be part of the cell phone generation(s).

Cannon Fodder

I certainly do not see the need to spend a grand on a phone, then again I am not and never will be part of the cell phone generation(s).

I hear ya - to me, spending that kinda money ON A PHONE, is utterly ridiculous. Ok, they're essentially just very small computers, and they can be damn handy at times, for calling, texting, doing some quick & dirty surfing to find something you NEED to find while on the go, and of course, for GPS, camera, etc., etc., but I just can't stand using that puny screen for typical computer type activities(even if I didn't need glasses), like so many people do. Folks, whose jobs require them to be on the road all the time, is another matter, but for everyday computer activity, they're not for me, which is why I asked how you liked that phone, because when my wife or I need to replace our current phones, the one you got will probably be on our shopping list.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I disagree with the price points phones have skyrocketed up to...however, an expensive phone with the most powerful processor is no different than a buying a PC with the most powerful CPU. you'll get the best performance and better than average performance over the long term vs. a budget phone. so you buy a $1000 phone and you use it for 5 years (the phone refresh cycle has slowed down now that the processors are so powerful) vs. a mid-range $300 phone you have to replace ever 2 years. in the end it all works out...though the mid-range CPU on the 4th year phone may be a bit better than the high end on a 4 year phone, LoL!!!

I've got to replace my wife's iPhone 6+ soon...it's ancient now, but she's had it for almost 4 years. she's going to be very pleased getting the latest model. thank goodness for the zero interest financing they have now.

what actually has blown me away is that we both use up our 10GB/m of data. granted, I sorta get it on my side...my phone fights whether the WiFi or the cell modem will do the job and anything I ask it to do hangs, so I often switch the WiFi off :p

mGz

In the long run today's flagship phones are actually quite reasonable. The average upgrade cycle isn't two years anymore.

Our mobile carriers on the other hand... That's a topic for another day.

Prickly007

... damn handy at times, for calling, texting, doing some quick & dirty surfing to find something you NEED to find while on the go, and of course, for GPS, camera, etc., etc... because when my wife or I need to replace our current phones, the one you got will probably be on our shopping list.

Sounds lik you two utilise a cell phone more than I do, or plan to. My cell plan only has 250mb of data at ?? speed, so it is really just for an emergency. Screen is too small, typing is too error prone, etc. Sorry I can't offer more... Costco's return policy is quite good though. ;)

The guy that does my hair thinks I am half Luddite, half computer nerd. :D

Cannon Fodder

Sounds lik you two utilise a cell phone more than I do, or plan to. My cell plan only has 250mb of data at ?? speed, so it is really just for an emergency. Screen is too small, typing is too error prone, etc.

No, I was just listing some of the things that folks generally find a cell phone useful for..... personally, I've only had a cell(a used phone) since about May of this year, and I've never used it for GPS, have only taken a couple of pics, and only used it for surfing a couple times when out & about(and only when necessary)..... I use it mostly for talk & text(and that's probably 90% text). My plan only has 500MB data, and so far I've used very, VERY little. And yeah, I totally agree with the "screen too small", & "error prone" typing. On the subject of error prone typing, I found that using the phone in landscape mode helps, and changing from the default keyboard to the alternate choice helped as well, BUT it still ends up with WAY too many errors for my liking. 👎 I suppose that's the nature of the beast, though, as almost EVERYBODY'S texts are littered with errors.

Prickly007

I use it mostly for talk & text(and that's probably 90% text).

In that case, a G7 probably would work quite well for you.

as almost EVERYBODY'S texts are littered with errors.

Until I got a cell phone, and discovered just how hard it is to type, I had always assumed it was, like, you know, illiteracy. :devilish:

Latest posts