What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

lowfat

Staff member
I had pondered replacing my 1080 Ti with a 3070 once I saw its performance. Still pondering, but it would mean ripping my loop apart again and the additional cost of a GPU block if I wanted to put it under water. If I didn't water cool it, it would mean redoing my loop. Not sure the change would be worth the effort at this point! lol
One of the reasons I decided to ditch water. Upgrades are such a massive pain. Especially with hard tubing where you'll need to bend new pipes.

sswilson

Staff member
One of the reasons I decided to ditch water. Upgrades are such a massive pain. Especially with hard tubing where you'll need to bend new pipes.

Definitely one of the reasons I stuck with flex tubing as opposed to hard, and while I've only done a couple of builds w/ a GPU in the loop, it's not something I'd consider unless for some reason a WC'd card dropped into my lap, or it was some kind of hybrid card with it's own WC cooler that was relatively easy to deal with.

That said.... I'd argue that a person would probably see better returns on WC'ing the GPU as opposed to the CPU.

Lysrin

Agree with both of you @lowfat and @sswilson and have pondered what I'll do for the next upgrade. Buying new blocks add a pretty decent cost on top of an upgrade. I always wanted to do a hard tubing custom loop to see if I could do it. So that is checked off my list at this point!

But I have to say I do love how very quiet my PC is with this loop. When I'm just doing non-gaming stuff on the PC you have to listen carefully to hear if it is on. Gaming it ramps up some, but still way quieter than my system was on air, and a big contributor to that I discovered was the three fans on the GPU.

Izerous

Folding Team
I ditched hard tubing for that reason also. i make changes frequently enough that the soft tubing feels far more practical. I can swap out a CPU without draining the system simply by moving the block out of the way. GPU upgrades are the only complication since they always require a new block.

However I feel like if I was on air i'd have the itch to upgrade more frequently. I'd likely be comping on trying to pick up a 6XXX amd or 30xx nvidia at this point but I feel like a liquid 1080ti will continue to keep me happy until another series of releases. Then grab the top tier card again and 1 water block and run it for years.

sswilson

Staff member

lowfat

Staff member
'Fosi Audio' 150wrms@4ohm class D subwoofer amp and cables in order to hook up to my DAC/AMP.

10ft HDMI 2.1 cable so I can finally run 4K @ 120Hz. Working perfectly fine @ '12-bit' colour too. banana

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
1606156738643.png
Paying a 10% premium, but whatever, I'll call it a rental tax vs buying it for retail in January.

Edit: 5600 and 5800's are coming in and out of stock right now.

Izerous

Folding Team
Shear bolts because of course it would break on the drive axle of the snowblower when only done half the work...

Entz

View attachment 30011
Paying a 10% premium, but whatever, I'll call it a rental tax vs buying it for retail in January.

Edit: 5600 and 5800's are coming in and out of stock right now.
Nice! Yeah they got a huge restock today. I think the 5800X was in stock for better part of 30 minutes. I had the 5800X in my cart but have this faint hope that I will get a 5900 in the supposed big refresh this week. If not 5800X it is

edit: supposed not suppo lol

Last edited:

Latest posts